Toronto 1920 Eglinton East | ?m | 48s | Madison Group | Turner Fleischer

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
1920 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 21 - Scarborough District

Official Plan Amendment for the lands at the northwest corner of Warden Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East (880-900 Warden Avenue, 20-50 Ashtonbee Road, 1920-1940 Eglinton Avenue East) to facilitate an area specific policy to allow for mixed-use developments containing commercial, offices and residential uses.

Who wants to put an over/under on the number of condos we'll be seeing here? I'm setting the number at 25 for the northern stretch between Pharmacy and Birchmount.

Why limit to Pharmacy? Eglinton Square is getting a few towers too, I believe.

And are the predictions just for the north side? :p

However many we do get, I am sure it is going to put Scarborough Town Centre to shame. All thanks to an LRT. ?

Why limit to Pharmacy? Eglinton Square is getting a few towers too, I believe.

And are the predictions just for the north side? :p

However many we do get, I am sure it is going to put Scarborough Town Centre to shame. All thanks to an LRT. ?
You know what you're right. Lets extend that plus/minus of the # of condo towers through to Victoria Park in the west, and Birchmount in the east. The predictions will be limited to the north side of Eglinton.

Based on how the developer is planning on packing in development (ie: from what we see above), i'll be upping the +/- of the number of condos we'll be seeing to 90.

I'm not surprised to see the early concepts of the lrt running through finer grained urban neighbourhoods mutate into Vaughan City Centre. Horrible scale. Homogenous masterplanned design.

And why shouldn't we allow the Golden Mile to become every bit as soulless and generic as the other areas of the city seeing rezoning?

Blech. And of course it's Turner Fleischer. Really off to a visionary start with those initial renderings ?

Big Box retail becomes Big Box housing. I thought we had an understanding with super block development. St Jamestown is a failure in the sense it never lived up to expectations and TCHC is ripping apart their communities to create proper blocks . This may position towers and podium with retail along the perimeter but, it is still fundamentally limited on housing choice, unfriendly scale and gosh darn bland and boring. I fear of people falling asleep walking along it's few corridors.

Oh the courtyard aspect I have no issues with. But there is a way to do superblocks and a way not to. (This being the latter.) There are ways to break down a superblock into smaller portions without it meaning introducing vehicles into the heart of the site.

The planning orthodoxy of breaking a block into pieces using vehicular streets, lining the edges with retail units and calling it a day - and the misguided outright rejection of anything that comes close to any sort of resemblance of towers in a park - is not helping the way we are building this city. We need courtyard spaces and shared spaces for neighbours to use beyond "amenity terraces" or whatever the planning dept. requires from our developers.

Last edited:
Golden Mile Avenue East? Copy-paste error?

I wonder why they didn't push for the three towers density on the north-east block as they had at a minimum in the other 3 blocks.

Overall, would it have killed them to a more fine-grained masterplan instead of superblocks? I guess the low-rise suburb will transition into a high-rise suburb.

What really irks me about all of this is that the city is just about to finalize the Secondary Plan for the entire Golden Mile strip, but yet this is the potential end result we're looking at? If this is what we're going to get repeated X times across the Golden Mile strip than they better go back to the drawing board and re-assess the entire thing, because this is simply laughable.

Back