Toronto 191 Sherbourne | 157m | 49s | Fitzrovia | PARTISANS

Apparently the original buildings are being re-clad. Which is a shame.
Never could figure why we went through that phase of brutalism and ugly concrete in design. I think a lot of it was just being cheap in cladding and decoration.

I recall, shortly after they were built, that the CBC did a special on organized crime in Toronto and implied that this development was built with Triad financing. I thought that was very exotic and exciting!

More rental housing on this site might not be the best idea, I think you'd need to sell strata in order to fix the drug/crime issues pervasive in this block. With that said, selling condos on this corner would likely be a challenge. Perhaps there's an opportunity to swing existing tenants into the new builds and demo 191 or 201 in the process, then sell strata through the latter stages of the redevelopment. Might even be able to get more coverage with the existing towers removed to make it worth it for the developers.

More rental housing on this site might not be the best idea, I think you'd need to sell strata in order to fix the drug/crime issues pervasive in this block. With that said, selling condos on this corner would likely be a challenge. Perhaps there's an opportunity to swing existing tenants into the new builds and demo 191 or 201 in the process, then sell strata through the latter stages of the redevelopment. Might even be able to get more coverage with the existing towers removed to make it worth it for the developers.

I disagree with your take here.

The existing rental isn't cheap; though granted I would prefer not to have MetCap for a landlord...............but I digress.......

The new rental will likely lean towards high end of market.

Condos in the area are already selling well just up the street at Regent Park; and are proposed just to the south at Queen/Sherbourne.

More rental housing is highly desirable.

It provides people options; and even when not 'affordable' serves to check excessive pricing in lesser properties.

Problems in this block, such as they are; are not the product of rental housing.

Do explain what you think the link is between rental housing and drug/crime issues...

I disagree with your take here.

The existing rental isn't cheap; though granted I would prefer not to have MetCap for a landlord...............but I digress.......

The new rental will likely lean towards high end of market.

Condos in the area are already selling well just up the street at Regent Park; and are proposed just to the south at Queen/Sherbourne.

More rental housing is highly desirable.

It provides people options; and even when not 'affordable' serves to check excessive pricing in lesser properties.

Problems in this block, such as they are; are not the product of rental housing.
I see your point, but would argue that these rentals would be far from "high end of market" given their proximity to Moss Park, the character of the neighbouring buildings on the site and the reputation of the landlord.

Also to clarify, I am not opposed to rental housing on the site but think that a more positive outcome could be achieved through a mix of strata and purpose built rental.

Do explain what you think the link is between rental housing and drug/crime issues...
My point is simply that the addition of strata ownership to the existing/additional purpose built rental might create more pride of ownership/sense of responsibility than what the current landlord has demonstrated over the years. Have you walked these buildings?

Apparently the original buildings are being re-clad. Which is a shame.
/bleh *Bleep!* that! And imagine the money the devs could save if they don't plan to fix something that which isn't broken.

At the risk of showing my odd fondness to Brutalist structures again, I don't suppose the infill proposal will be cladded with that colour beige concrete to match with the buildings already there?
Can't see this aging well - bland and utilitarian. But I definitely see the brutalist connections.

Last edited:
Putting another building in between the 2 buildings sounds like an awful idea, and a tight squeeze. This would look extremely out of place to have 2 old buildings, on both sides of a new building. Sorry but replacing old balconies isn’t going to help these 2 buildings fit in. I like idea of the 3 bedroom apartments on Seaton st. I hope they create more of a garden vibe in the middle and avoid trying to cram another building in between.

Putting another building in between the 2 buildings sounds like an awful idea, and a tight squeeze. This would look extremely out of place to have 2 old buildings, on both sides of a new building. Sorry but replacing old balconies isn’t going to help these 2 buildings fit in. I like idea of the 3 bedroom apartments on Seaton st. I hope they create more of a garden vibe in the middle and avoid trying to cram another building in between.

The proposal includes a total re-clad of the older buildings. So a new exterior appearance, not just balconies.

Nooooo! This is great Brutalism for Toronto. The older buildings just need a good power-washing and re-painting. 😭

I'm content to support maintaining the facades (mostly) as is; but would you really call this brutalism? They make extensive use of brick and have lots of windows. I'm not sure that qualifies in my mind.

1615666331219.png

That said; the "Would you like fries with that" canopy at the front must go!

Back