Toronto 191 Sherbourne | 157m | 49s | Fitzrovia | PARTISANS

lkov.rc

Member Bio
Reaction score
"Proposed addition of two (2) new residential buildings: A 15-storey building positioned between the two existing rental towers along the Sherbourne Street frontage and a 7-storey mid-rise building transitioning down to 4-storeys positioned along the Shuter and Seaton Street frontage. The two new buildings will have a combined residential gross floor area of 23,905 square metres and 313 residential dwelling units."

Development Applications

The site as it appears today, as per Streetview:

1607530635620.png

Aerial photo from Streetview outlines the extent of the property, note that its a L-Shape also fronting onto Shuter and Seaton:

1607530832314.png

I'm all for filling in dead spaces between towers like that.

Be interesting to see how they handle separation distance issues.

The current open space, best as I can tell, doesn't have any programmatic function; ie. there is no outdoor pool or playground.

That makes it a bit easier to do this, in theory; though there are rules around outdoor amenity space per tenant to be satisfied, normally.

Given the site is kitty-corner to Moss Park, it makes more sense to me to take cash-in-lieu of parkland and use those funds towards the redevelopment of Moss Park and John Innes.

There doesn't seem to be any other logical park expansion to me.

The Ontario Parkette is nearby; but I don't see much value in widening it by one or two housing lots.

I suppose one could argue for a continous mid-block park system extending the Ontario Parkette towards Sherbourne or Parliament; but I don't see much value in that myself.

Last edited:
The scale is quite reasonable.

The southerly building doesn't abut any large buildings.

The northerly building between the two existing towers reads as a tight squeeze visually.

Clearly, it seems to me, no parkland dedication proposed; as I expected, although, I thought there might be a more POPs.

Landscape Plan (southern portion of property)

They are proposing a sculpture garden fronting Sherbourne; and squeezing in a very tiny playground towards the eastern portion of the site.

1608040565718.png

The Planning Rationale Report provides the separation distances:

Levels 2-4 of the Sherbourne Building will be ‘I’-shaped and designed with separation distances of 16.0 metres (between the main horizontal ‘stem’ of the proposed building to the existing building faces of 191 and 201 Sherbourne Street) and 12.0 metres (between the north-south vertical ‘stems’ of the proposed building to the existing buildings).

The vertical ‘stems’ will have a depth of 13.7 metres nearest Sherbourne Street and 12.4 metres nearest Windeyer Lane. Levels 2-4 will include setbacks of 2.8 and 6.15 metres from the Sherbourne Street and Windeyer Lane lot lines, respectively. See Figure 7, Level 2 / 3-4. These levels will cantilever over the drive aisle at the ground-level.

From Levels 5-8, the easterly vertical stem is removed through additional stepbacks of 4.0 metres from the north and south facades. With respect to transition, the east façade, which faces Windeyer Lane and the low-rise neighbourhoods to the east, steps back 6.0 metres at the 5th level, 6.4 metres at the 9th level, and 6.0 metres at the 13th level. At the 13th level, the building will include an outdoor amenity terrace for use by residents of the building.

Unit sizes vary from just over 500ft2 for a 1bdrm to 968ft2 for a 3bdrm:

1608041389411.png

* the Shuter-fronting building has a single 3brdm on the ground floor at 1,248ft2!

Amenity space on terrace/roof levels is contemplated.

Are they proposing connections between the existing towers with the new building fronting Sherbourne at the ground level? Can't tell from just the first architectural plan image.

I wonder if there is an idea here to raise rents in the existing towers by selling access to brand new amenities in the new structure.

Are they proposing connections between the existing towers with the new building fronting Sherbourne at the ground level? Can't tell from just the first architectural plan image.

I wonder if there is an idea here to raise rents in the existing towers by selling access to brand new amenities in the new structure.

The proposal does include a 1-storey link to the two existing buildings on Sherbourne at ground-level.

good god , ... clean up that area.... move TCHC BUILDINGS along Shuter to the suburbs
What on earth are you talking about? There should be TCHC buildings and Shelters in ALL parts of the City. You appear to want to 'hide' things away. I do not agree there are too many TCHC buildings in the area but I do agree that there are too many shelters and part of the problems in that area are caused by shelter clients who are thrown out every morning and cannot return until the evening.
The REAL problem is that there is not enough (cheap) rental housing (TCHC and other) and people who are 'permanently' homeless need to live in shelters as that's the only option (except for tents). The answer is MORE TCHC and other rental housing (in ALL parts of the City) and thus the need for fewer shelter beds distributed FAR better. Shelters should only be for short-term 'emergency' housing but we are, unfortunately, a long way from there.

The scale is quite reasonable.

The southerly building doesn't abut any large buildings.

The northerly building between the two existing towers reads as a tight squeeze visually.

Clearly, it seems to me, no parkland dedication proposed; as I expected, although, I thought there might be a more POPs.

Landscape Plan (southern portion of property)

They are proposing a sculpture garden fronting Sherbourne; and squeezing in a very tiny playground towards the eastern portion of the site.

View attachment 289020

The Planning Rationale Report provides the separation distances:

Levels 2-4 of the Sherbourne Building will be ‘I’-shaped and designed with separation distances of 16.0 metres (between the main horizontal ‘stem’ of the proposed building to the existing building faces of 191 and 201 Sherbourne Street) and 12.0 metres (between the north-south vertical ‘stems’ of the proposed building to the existing buildings).

The vertical ‘stems’ will have a depth of 13.7 metres nearest Sherbourne Street and 12.4 metres nearest Windeyer Lane. Levels 2-4 will include setbacks of 2.8 and 6.15 metres from the Sherbourne Street and Windeyer Lane lot lines, respectively. See Figure 7, Level 2 / 3-4. These levels will cantilever over the drive aisle at the ground-level.

From Levels 5-8, the easterly vertical stem is removed through additional stepbacks of 4.0 metres from the north and south facades. With respect to transition, the east façade, which faces Windeyer Lane and the low-rise neighbourhoods to the east, steps back 6.0 metres at the 5th level, 6.4 metres at the 9th level, and 6.0 metres at the 13th level. At the 13th level, the building will include an outdoor amenity terrace for use by residents of the building.

Unit sizes vary from just over 500ft2 for a 1bdrm to 968ft2 for a 3bdrm:

View attachment 289021

* the Shuter-fronting building has a single 3brdm on the ground floor at 1,248ft2!

Amenity space on terrace/roof levels is contemplated.

The 2-3 bedroom units ranging 70m2 to 90m2 would seem bright with lots of windows.

I do feel bad for the houses along Seaton with almost a solid 15-23 storey wall of apartments on Sherbourne blocking afternoon sunlight.

At the risk of showing my odd fondness to Brutalist structures again, I don't suppose the infill proposal will be cladded with that colour beige concrete to match with the buildings already there?

Back