Toronto Toronto House | 186.53m | 58s | Westbank | Hariri Pontarini

Pics from Nov 21, 2019

DSC05383.JPG

DSC05386.JPG

DSC05389.JPG

DSC05395.JPG

Thanks to all the photographers from yesterday. I think I counted almost 20 new excavated holes that are almost ready for one or multiple cranes. That's pretty unique in the North American experience presently. Curious how crane suppliers are dealing with this level of demand these days.

Thanks to all the photographers from yesterday. I think I counted almost 20 new excavated holes that are almost ready for one or multiple cranes. That's pretty unique in the North American experience presently. Curious how crane suppliers are dealing with this level of demand these days.

I would not think the availability of cranes themselves is such an issue. Cranes can be brought in from other cities. New cranes continue to be delivered, older cranes can be refurbished. Many years ago, in Montreal, after Expo 67 and prior to the election of the first PQ government, there was a short lived construction boom in Montreal. What was noticeable were several white and blue construction cranes with the labelling: 'ONTARIO EQUIPMENT'. So binging them down the 401 from Toronto was not, in the grand scheme of things, a major cost impediment.

Now the real shortage - one that is causing problems, and a lot of poaching - is the shortage of qualified crane operators. Some fairly rigorous training and certification requirements limit the rate at which new people can enter the field, and there definitely are not enough operators for all the projects currently needing them.

Last edited:
They must be itching to get the crane in to get forming going, this has been slower than anticipated given the complexity of the facade support.

The North and South faces for this one will have some pretty cool signage from the looks of the Sign Variance Application (filed Dec 11):

1578591240081.png

1578591275787.png

1578591293791.png

Oh yes please. Inject that logo right into my skyline Westbank!

I take it that this isn't just a CadillacFairview-esque marking of territory, and that Westbank intends to locate their Toronto office into 19 Duncan?

Back