Toronto 185 King East | 157.12m | 46s | Gupta | Arcadis

Easton's means that the IBI Group will probably be the architectural firm of choice here. With Emblem aiming for 40 storeys at their nearby 250 King East site, I can see Easton's asking for something similar.

Not to worry anyone (including me!) too much but I see "they" have painted a sign in the "lane" behind this building to mark an up-coming bore hole drilling. Often the first stage in preparing plans to build. This 'lane"

1643487517908.png

Easton (Gupta) Group as per this thread:

Not to worry anyone (including me!) too much but I see "they" have painted a sign in the "lane" behind this building to mark an up-coming bore hole drilling. Often the first stage in preparing plans to build. This 'lane"

View attachment 377304
Great location for more housing, or hotel, or office, or institutional use. Needs more density. Let’s gooooo

Last week they were drilling INSIDE the building at King & George - I assume doing more investigation on the underground 'geography' and exactly where the rock begins. Something is clearly afoot! I would say the question will be, how much of the Listed block on King is involved. I foresee a facadectomy.

Application for this one is in to the AIC:

1661587363171.png

* Docs are Up *

For the title: Height is 33 floors; Architect is:indeed, IBI.

@DSC called the facecectomy here.........I feel like more substantial retention should be considered for this site; and ABG; a new important planning principle, Anything But Gupta.

1661587944970.png

1661588124641.png

1661588163521.png

Just to illustrate the bulk of this thing:

1661587987055.png

1661587819605.png

Sigh, shakes head................no retail-at grade, all taken up by the Hotel entrance and the condo entrance:

1661587902491.png

From the Planning Rationale Report:

1661588333590.png

1661588369259.png

1661588403890.png

1661588437881.png

1661588471940.png

1661588533439.png

Comments: To quote the great architectural philosopher, known to some as @ProjectEnd : "Trash"

I mean save and except for the facade retention there is nothing to redeem this and I can't even envision negotiating this to 'acceptable' never mind 'good'......

- Loss of Heritage
- No retail at-grade
- No street trees proposed on either frontage
- All existing trees lost
- Clunky, overbearing design which would be charitably described as 'bland'.

Last edited:
Sorry you had to be awake at 4 am for this tragedy.

Another cut and paste from (often lazy) IBI Group working with our favourite discount client. Wrong developer + dozing architects = lost opportunity for a lovely heritage block.

Wake me up from this nightmare when Allied and Sweeny are at the helm.

This is comically bad. If we let something like this dominate the st lawrence market block there's seriously no hope for us. Since there's no hope this wont happen, lets just hope its 1/10 instead of 0/10.

This building is pure garbage. All they had to do was look across the street to King George Square for an example of a contextual building that blends into the surrounding vernacular. If there's any neighbourhood where context is important, it's Old Town. Especially a stones throw away from some of the city's biggest landmarks (St. Lawrence Hall, St. James Cathedral).

Area definitely needs a hotel, though this feels like an odd spot for one. Maybe it’ll feel less sleepy in 10yrs when Corktown station is running. Nothing to write home about design wise. Let’s see whether they can get it built before the Distillery hotel.

This is appalling. A project flaunting a complete lack of sensitivity to the district's existing heritage structures and with little to no contribution to this areas charming street level character. If this proposal(or any other similar ones) can get approved in the heart of one of the city's newest Heritage Conservation Districts then it signals that Toronto is not really interested in preserving its past.

Last edited:
Horrific.

A random tower with no relation to anything below it.

Can we just leave this block alone, or at the very least update/restore what's there?

Not surprising, sadly, for a city that does such an awful job with its own history.

Back