Toronto 1837 Bayview | 85.55m | 22s | Gupta | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New App in the AIC:

1636104678480.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=Ku9al2emaBlgcHoklo9ghA==

This is the S/E corner of Eglinton and Broadway, kitty corner to the Whole Foods building.

Aerial Pic:

1636104838412.png

Site Size: ~0.21ha/0.51ac

Streetview:

1636104951468.png

Design is fine, but the height is pure bait & switch tactic. Gupta & their planner know this height will never get approved for this site, so they submitted an application for a tall building with the intention of showing good faith and later offering to settle for half the height. Even at half the height, the NIMBY will be strong, but they'll get a settlement (around 12 storeys & 45 to 50 meters). Gupta still makes off like a bandit. They basically purchased 5 residential lots and are jacking up the density for the big payday. Nothing in the vicinity even comes close to the height they're applying for.

Nothing in the vicinity even comes close to the height they're applying for.
Site is inside a PMTSA - and Metrolinx is prepping for similar height above the station on the South-East corner of Bayview and Eglinton (the old McDonalds land) - after the LRT opens.

Expect that Bayview and Eglinton will get Mount Pleasant and Eglinton heights in the mid 20's.

Attachments

• LEASIDE_STATION_FUTURE_METROLINX.png
    LEASIDE_STATION_FUTURE_METROLINX.png
    244 KB · Views: 106
Site is inside a PMTSA - and Metrolinx is prepping for similar height above the station on the South-East corner of Bayview and Eglinton (the old McDonalds land) - after the LRT opens.

Expect that Bayview and Eglinton will get Mount Pleasant and Eglinton heights in the mid 20's.
Wow. I guess this is the first shoe to drop. If this goes through (based on OPA 405), it will certainly change the landscape. 5 residential homes turning into a tower with an 8 storey podium. Even the podium will dwarf the buildings nearby.

Wow. I guess this is the first shoe to drop. If this goes through (based on OPA 405), it will certainly change the landscape. 5 residential homes turning into a tower with an 8 storey podium. Even the podium will dwarf the buildings nearby.
You'd think the ratepayer associations and Councillor Jaye Robinson would be saving their energy to fight bland high-rise applications like this vs. the nicer midrise applications on bayview south of eglinton.

You'd think the ratepayer associations and Councillor Jaye Robinson would be saving their energy to fight bland high-rise applications like this vs. the nicer midrise applications on bayview south of eglinton.
The local ratepayer associations appear to have "energy to spare" even during a Pandemic... and fight just about everything. Being mostly retired and mortgage-free homeowners probably helps with their "TLAB hobby", etc...

I don't disapprove of more density along major corridors, but 25 stories is MUCH too high given this neighbourhood. Up to 10 stories would be more reasonable at this location given the church and Whole Foods/Shoppers nearby, but they really need to consider the neighbourhood and the fact that most of this area is single family homes.

In general, it really ticks me off that they're effectively destroying more affordable homes, creating more demand for single family homes while the owners of these companies are living in giant mansions in the likes of Lawrence Park or Rosedale or the Bridle Path--> if they want density, why don't they develop some of these EXTREMELY low density areas and build giant towers there? But of course, they want their neighbourhoods to remain nice and quiet and to preserve their character while destroying the remaining nice areas of the city where families can exist without being crowded into tiny sky boxes. This sort of thing would make more sense downtown (where there are still lots of low rise buildings), or even at Yonge and Eg (although they've made living in that area a living hell for residents), but the city really needs to reconsider its approach to density outside of these areas because it's not just about putting up more condos for investors- it's about making sure the city still has nice pockets where you don't feel like you're in a canyon (that becomes a wind tunnel in the winter) and aren't just surrounded by a concrete jungle. More moderate-rise buildings along big roads and more single family homes in areas where you could put like 10 houses in what's currently 1 giant lot makes more sense in terms of creating housing supply than just plopping down condos everywhere. Be smart about it- not just greedy.

I don't disapprove of more density along major corridors, but 25 stories is MUCH too high given this neighbourhood. Up to 10 stories would be more reasonable at this location given the church and Whole Foods/Shoppers nearby, but they really need to consider the neighbourhood and the fact that most of this area is single family homes.

In general, it really ticks me off that they're effectively destroying more affordable homes, creating more demand for single family homes while the owners of these companies are living in giant mansions in the likes of Lawrence Park or Rosedale or the Bridle Path--> if they want density, why don't they develop some of these EXTREMELY low density areas and build giant towers there? But of course, they want their neighbourhoods to remain nice and quiet and to preserve their character while destroying the remaining nice areas of the city where families can exist without being crowded into tiny sky boxes. This sort of thing would make more sense downtown (where there are still lots of low rise buildings), or even at Yonge and Eg (although they've made living in that area a living hell for residents), but the city really needs to reconsider its approach to density outside of these areas because it's not just about putting up more condos for investors- it's about making sure the city still has nice pockets where you don't feel like you're in a canyon (that becomes a wind tunnel in the winter) and aren't just surrounded by a concrete jungle. More moderate-rise buildings along big roads and more single family homes in areas where you could put like 10 houses in what's currently 1 giant lot makes more sense in terms of creating housing supply than just plopping down condos everywhere. Be smart about it- not just greedy.
The zoning by-laws that keep neighbourhoods stuck with exactly the houses they have now are iron-clad; no-one can build more in them. The only places that zoning can currently be increased are the types where you do see buildings going up, and that is areas zoned as apartment neighbourhoods, and along main avenues like Bayview, all over the city. If there's a transit station nearby, then the Province recently changed the laws to require the City to take them. The City will no doubt try to bargain this one down in scale as far as they can (I have no idea what concessions they might get here), but if they ask for too many as far as the developer is concerned, they can go to the Ontario Land Tribunal, and plead their case. As the law stands now, the developer is likely get just what they are asking for; it would just take a couple years to go through that system to get the approval.

That is down the street from where I live. I doubt it will be approved at that height, but they will probably settle at something halfway. I think the people most affected will be the neighbourhood east of it. Traffic is already a nightmare on Bayview and this will just add to that.

Back