Toronto 18 Dalhousie | 175m | 53s | Pemberton | Graziani + Corazza

To everyone saying variations on 'this will come down to the materials': when have G+C ever done anything good? They used curtain wall on Aura and it still came out complete dogshit.

Even Kirkor and E.I. Richmond manage to do something passable once in a blue moon. I'm unable to think of a single G+C exception.
They are the architect, not the builder. The builder is ultimately who chooses which materials to use on the building, no?

It's the builder who specifies the budget, yes, but it's up to the architect to create something within that allowance. Talented architects can do good work with 'bad' builders, bad architects are hopeless, bar none.

I'll re-ask my question: can you think of a single building that G+C have authored that you would call 'good'?

It's the builder who specifies the budget, yes, but it's up to the architect to create something within that allowance. Talented architects can do good work with 'bad' builders, bad architects are hopeless, bar none.

I'll re-ask my question: can you think of a single building that G+C have authored that you would call 'good'?
Couture, Lago, Nautilus. But that's all I would say are "good." Haha.

I find Aura to be good proportionately, but the execution is obviously lacking.

generally I consider G+C to be bottom of the barrel for the city. G+C is the lone “crapshoot” architect really left. E.I. Richmond and IBI have become just boring, not *bad*. IBI has even managed to pull off a few good looking buildings lately. Kirkor has gotten pretty good at execution and tries more daring designs, even if they are generally still a little “off”, and Burka has bit the dust. Only G+C remains.

If I recall correctly from some old article, I found it amusing that the developer made it some amazing revelation that curtain wall was going to be used on the upper portions of the building (and it was apparently a city request as well).

generally I consider G+C to be bottom of the barrel for the city. G+C is the lone “crapshoot” architect really left. E.I. Richmond and IBI have become just boring, not *bad*. IBI has even managed to pull off a few good looking buildings lately. Kirkor has gotten pretty good at execution and tries more daring designs, even if they are generally still a little “off”, and Burka has bit the dust. Only G+C remains.
Gabriel Bodor comes to mind as another, but he’s a much smaller figure than G+C, other than that I’d agree with your assessment.

DEC51697-B448-4A52-9C45-AC7E164370E3.jpeg

Looks really good, but do we trust it to come anywhere close to looking like how it's rendered?

Sure as hell not with the 2 proponents that are currently involved. And most certainly not when the letters G+C are involved. Ill even go as far as calling this out as false advertising.

Looks really good, but do we trust it to come anywhere close to looking like how it's rendered?

Sure as hell not with the 2 proponents that are currently involved. And most certainly not when the letters G+C are involved. Ill even go as far as calling this out as false advertising.

The supposed curved glass at the corner really are multiple narrow planar ones. Nice try with the reflection and flare though! Given the parties involved, it'd likely be a mullioned mess. It's like clumsily faking a HP project.

AoD

Looks way better than previous design. I don't mind if the glass panels are not curved in the final product but for GOD'S sake don't use any Spandrel on this tower.

Back