Toronto 18 Dalhousie | 175m | 53s | Pemberton | Graziani + Corazza

Hey good times.... i kind of liked it, it would have been our first supertall that we have yet to see, and it sure would have been iconic on our skyline with that globe over top...lol

A bunch of pawnbrokers makes this section of the street dead. I'll take food establishments over pawnbrokers any day. This is where I live, and it's awful walking past those decrepit pawnshops! (Except McTamney's). Half the time they're not even open. One further down Church has had a closing sign up for so long that the signs have faded, and yet the store is still open. I don't want to see a bunch of corporate crap open up here at the base. But I don't think it would be worse than what's currently here.

You know what makes a street look dead? A certain big-box drug store which covers all its windows with the same three or four "lifestyle" stock photos you see everywhere else in Canada.

You know what makes a street look dead? A certain big-box drug store which covers all its windows with the same three or four "lifestyle" stock photos you see everywhere else in Canada.

Bingo!

I've been waiting a while to use this phrase, and I'm gonna use it now: horrifically banal.

From Urban Toronto's very own article:

The design team is pursuing a more fine-grained retail frontage along Church Street, with six smaller commercial units proposed along that stretch totalling only 480 square metres of non-residential gross floor area.

Yeah, the pretty people are better than the posters selling frappes, etc.

We have put up a front page story with a number of images and details—including a look at the area of the building being cut away so that it does not intrude into the St. Mikes helicopter flight path, plus there's a new database file with even more images.

The database file and thread now have the title 18 Dalhousie instead of 139 Church as the front door for the condos is on Dal. The whole assembly has addresses for 139 through 149 Church Street, which can be used for up to 6 retail outlets along that street, and 18 and 20 Dalhousie. I assume they'll chose 18 over 20 for the front door to appeal to Asian buyers.

Is this building going right next door to the condo project on corner of Church and Queen St?

Can't the city come up with a policy to deal with the scourge of window film, i.e., ban it?

I can't be bothered to research this now, but I thinkt there is a Municipal Code provision that prohibits covering more than X% of a storefront. Maybe some kind soul will dig it up and start complaining.

Back