Toronto 1795 Danforth Avenue | 22.55m | 7s | CS&P

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
1793 DANFORTH AVE
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...4497205&isCofASearch=false&isTlabSearch=false

Zoning By-law Amendment Application to permit a 7-storey (22.5 metre, including mechanical penthouse) residential building with a gross floor area of approximately 1360 square metres.

Current site:
1544276680170.png

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ent-leads-neighbours-to-safety/article957048/

Interesting article on why the former building was knocked down... Looking at a 2007 Streetview you can see the two main floor units were occupied by same tavern. I bet someone though it was a good idea to remove that that pesky loading bearing wall between the two units.

ANTHONY CAPUANO
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
PUBLISHED JANUARY 12, 2008UPDATED APRIL 26, 2018

Corrado Mallia opened the Soccer Club café on the Danforth at dawn yesterday. He had just sat down with an espresso and opened up his Corriere Canadese when "all hell broke loose."
Sitting by the front window, Mr. Mallia heard what he thought was an explosion across the street. He ran outside, and then "people came rushing out, screaming and crying. One woman was saying: 'My baby, my baby.' "
The nearly 20 residents who lived above the Cheers Bar & Grill at 1795 Danforth Avenue rushed out in the darkness as the roof and top two storeys of their apartment caved in. Thanks to the quick thinking of resident Jay Slievert, only four people were injured.
"Our apartments just collapsed," Mr. Slievert told CP24. "The ceilings came down one on top of another. ... It was crazy. I went around and tried to wake everybody up."
By 5:30 a.m., ambulance and fire crews were on the scene. The injured residents were taken to hospital, and later released. A first-aid station, set up inside a nearby TTC bus, provided food and blankets to other residents.

"We still don't know what's going on, or whether we'll be able to get back in," said Victor, a neighbour who gave only his first name, as he stood outside the bus in his pyjamas, smoking a cigarette.
City inspectors and engineers were investigating by 11 a.m., along with a lawyer representing the Naval Club, which bought the property two months ago. "There were renovations going, but they were only cosmetic. Nothing structural," Richard Baker said.
Local councillor Sandra Bussin, who arrived on the scene to personally assess the damage, confirmed the city had given a building permit for the renovations. "For the kind of work that was going on, there was no reason for this to happen," she said.
The unit was condemned by noon, and demolition work began immediately.

I think this is terriffic, although for 16 units I have no idea how it could be financially feasible given the costs they will incur during rezoning and the inevitable fight with the community (for something that is permitted as-of-right under the City approved Danforth OPA, under appeal at the LPAT). I agree it's not a looker but you can't expect too much from every building if you want this gentle density to happen. A quick approval is the only way this thing will get built.

i like it! build more of these. I guess this is considered missing middle?
Although this should not require a rezoning, this should be as-of-right and only require Committee approval

Please no!

I'm all for intensification, but that is ugly, and doesn't compliment or relate to the retail character of the street all!

Bleh! ?

I'd rather have it stay a vacant lot.

You clearly are not all for intensification if you would rather a vacant lot! Are you mad! this is a great proposal that fits the Danforth study? we needed more housing yesterday, this should fly though a rezoning *Hopefully*

You clearly are not all for intensification if you would rather a vacant lot! Are you mad! this is a great proposal that fits the Danforth study? we needed more housing yesterday, this should fly though a rezoning *Hopefully*

Your response is obnoxious. A quick read of my posts here would show me as strongly pro-intensification, including along the Danforth.

I take no issue w/the proposal's height or density. (intensification)

I take issue w/it being a bad architectural fit with its neighbours and doing a poor job of creating an attractive retail space on the main level. Its also ugly.

Fix that, and I'm happy.

Your response is obnoxious. A quick read of my posts here would show me as strongly pro-intensification, including along the Danforth.

I take no issue w/the proposal's height or density. (intensification)

I take issue w/it being a bad architectural fit with its neighbours and doing a poor job of creating an attractive retail space on the main level. Its also ugly.

Fix that, and I'm happy.

Fair enough! I did not read the entire chain - i only saw you would rather see a vacant lot than this building! I agree the building is not the most attractive, but something is better than nothing. The apprearence is probably the most cost effecttive since this devlopment is not a financial home run

Fair enough! I did not read the entire chain - i only saw you would rather see a vacant lot than this building! I agree the building is not the most attractive, but something is better than nothing. The apprearence is probably the most cost effecttive since this devlopment is not a financial home run
There's more than one way to skin a building, and @Northern Light is only opposed to the one they've chosen. You'll find on UrbanToronto that there is more architectural criticism than anything else, not that we ever all agree on what something should look like, and that pretty much everyone wants intensification of land use in the city, but again, not that we ever all agree on how that should play out… so please avoid accusing others of being less than sane when expressing your POV!

Im curious - Can someone explain to me why this property needs a rezoning? It seems the proposal complies with the mid-rise guidelines, does not penetrate the angular plane and is 7 storeys on Danforth Ave, when i believe the max heigh is 10 due to the width of the Right of Way. Should this application not be considered 'minor; and proceed through committee of adjustments?

Back