Toronto 1779-1787 Bayview | 120.42m | 35s | Condor Properties Ltd | Arcadis

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This site is the long anticipated overbuild proposal for the Crosstown entrance at the south-east corner of Bayview and Eglinton.

I considered placing this in the thread for that station, but as the project has a different proponent and contains additional properties, I decided to give it a freestanding thread.

@interchange42 may wish to consider whether that's the right call.

I don't typically start with comments, but I have to say, in advance the provided renders really should feature a warning about graphic architectural tragedy with viewer discretion advised.

That said, a quick reminder of the site as-is: (from the Planning Report)

1667294272521.png

1667294310831.png

Now the app:

1667294347555.png

From the Docs: (The following render is a graphic representation of architecture gone wrong, Viewer Discretion is Advised)

1667294517687.png

Closer Looks ( I know, I know)... lower, then upper:

1667294585791.png

1667294666157.png

Additional Renders:

1667295123041.png

1667295178893.png

1667295243241.png

1667295292777.png

1667294706180.png

1667294778543.png

1667294863696.png

Phew.

Additional comments:

While I don't have any inherent issue w/the height/density per se, this one will have the Leaside set lose their minds. Given the horrific, awful architecture and dubious massing and landscaping choices, it's rather hard to fault them for that.
Not the way to 'sell' density to the community.

Let's move on from the Spandrel..........

There is one upside here, a rather quirky one, this is mixed tenure proposal with both purpose built-rental (well beyond the required replacement units), and condo proposed.
After that, the redemptive qualities are challenging to find.

The choice to fully overhang, without integrating the station entrance creates a terrible relationship to Eglinton in particular, but won't be great on Bayview either.
No trees are proposed on the Eglinton frontage. The Bayview-side streetscape and overhang area show bright flowers which almost certainly will not be sustained when the height here forms the basis for a redevelopment on the west side of Bayview and when existing applications are built out to the north-west as well
Bright, colourful flowers generally require lots of sun, something they are unlikely to get under an overhang with no direct sunlight from the south, with future encroachment on any western sun as well.
The planting conditions for the proposed Bayview trees are actually quite good; though wasted on more Acer Freemans; given future limited light conditions here, I'd be seriously tempted to try Sugars

The massing on the site manages to maximally distort human-scale, while also creating a massing that will maximize shadow on the adjacent Park. Trades are a necessary reality of an intensifying city, but they aren't really supposed to be lose-lose.

When I refer to future light conditions, let's note that there is a less than zero chance that this building on the south-west corner stays, and with this precedent in mind.......the ask will be 40s:

1667296462939.png

There will, almost certainly also be a midrise proposal to the south.

How about we just have Condor sell the site to Gairloch, and hire BDPQ to make a serious effort here. Just sayin...

Last edited:
Well, correct call, @Northern Light regarding having this as a separate thread from the Line 5 station one…

…however, your warning about viewing the renderings was not sufficiently vehement enough, and I have just taken a 5 minute PTSD break to recover. Like, I'm not all better, but I'm soldiering on. I think I'll head to a nice Hariri Pontarini thread next, whichever one I see first, and try to forget I ever saw this one. I think that's the best I can suggest for other forum readers too, who may happen to see - that - stuff - above - and, failing easy access to professional care, they're going to need something only a couple clicks away. All the best to everyone, and we'll watch for signs of 1779 Bayview Disorder in following posts.

To be fair, part of the problem is that TTC/Metrolinx cheaped-out on the station design years ago - and that left the dumb "support columns" as the only way to build above.

Once that choice had been made, everything else was gonna be a bolt-on building.

That said, it's going to be a lot of fun going to these public consultation meetings with Geoff Kettel and Jaye Robinson - both losing their minds at the density ... 🍿
LEASIDE_STATION_FUTURE_METROLINX.png

To be fair, part of the problem is that TTC/Metrolinx cheaped-out on the station design years ago - and that left the dumb "support columns" as the only way to build above.

Once that choice had been made, everything else was gonna be a bolt-on building.

That said, it's going to be a lot of fun going to these public consultation meetings with Geoff Kettel and Jaye Robinson - both losing their minds at the density ... 🍿
View attachment 436499

I completely agree with what you've posted; but would then add, there's no reason those support columns can't be internal to the building, and the station reformatted within retail and other animating spaces.

The front (Eglinton) columns are more problematic than the Bayview side, they're simply too far out, which does pose issues. I find it highly likely that new columns could be poured, but admittedly have not reviewed the specs to evaluate their potential placement relative to the tunnel/station.

Assuming that was impractical, a bit more creativity is required in how to deliver a good design, but its still achievable. If Mx ....ummmm.....*UT Approved language here* messed up, they should provide the requisite discount to their partner at the site to achieve good design.

Forgive the unapproved language that follows.............but really we need to drive idiots out of the planning, engineering and architecture professions.

if you look at that massing model above and don't know what's wrong with it, there's no hope for you; just surrender your credentials and go home.

I'm actually just speechless as to how bad this design is.

Beyond the mixed rental/ownership units and additional density, this proposal would truly be one of the worst buildings ever built in this city from a design perspective.

I find the vehemence of the reaction to this building interesting! It’s terrible, clearly. But can folks explain specifically why they hate this one so much?

I love that we're getting a massive tower right over a transit entrance.

Making the design palatable would mean swapping the spandrel panels for warm coloured precast brick. At worst, precast concrete could be used.

The columns don't bother me.

I find the vehemence of the reaction to this building interesting! It’s terrible, clearly. But can folks explain specifically why they hate this one so much?

For me, it’s the cheap spandrel and mullion patterns. At least the renders aren’t promising anything more than the crappy materials. The various sections of said cheap cladding materials, with varying angles just makes this a dog’s breakfast of cheapness that will stand out forever given the prominent site.

The project I hate the most right now is the Menkies inDE condo recently completed. It’s close to me, and it’s a complete waste of a view terminus looking east on Dundas.

I am surprised that this is an IBI design. Although not an exceptional design firm, they are very good at turning cheap into something palatable. Here, they have done just the opposite...and it has almost everything to do with the materials chosen.

I pray this does not get built in the presently proposed version.

Last edited:
I am surprised that this is an IBI design. Although not an exceptional design firm, they are very good at turning cheap into something palatable. Here, they have done just the opposite...and it has almost everything to do with the materials chosen.

I pray this does not get built in the presently proposed version.
IBI is very much a "good and bad" firm. They can produce some great work with the right architect on the file, and on others... well, we know looking at this one.

Back