Toronto 175 St Clair West | 55.7m | 14s | Resident | Richard Wengle

Architect is Richard Wengle:

forest.jpg
forest2.jpg
forest3.jpg

Richard Wengle is one of a few firms that is saving Toronto from itself. I loved the initial preliminary renderings for this project, but i'm still loving this.

I've tended to like his modern stuff better so far.

The historical stuff often seems to end up looking cheap and mismatched, whether its a residential (SFH) client or whether its a mid-rise.

I'm entirely content to lay that on the client. Though some of the images I've seen are posted by him/his firm on their website or social media. Some should not be.

That said, this has great potential, if the design can be executed to the highest standards.

This could look pretty awkward if they cheapen this...though the design does seem to be a bit lacking anyway...perhaps the streetlevel and lack of retail. The building is very long which makes this look a bit too monotomous, even if its well executed.

The new building across the street (next to Glenn Gould Park) seems to be using something that looks like real stone for the first couple stories, and then something that looks very fake for the rest of the building.
I assume this building will take the same approach.

Edit: here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about from Google street view. I wouldn't be surprised if this proposal takes the same approach.
1612545676460.png

Back