Hamilton 175 John Street North | 66m | 19s | Darpel Investments | srm Architects

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New apartment building proposed off of James N in Hamilton. 19 storeys, 132 units.

Header-Image-5.jpg

Who is this developer? Has anyone ever heard of Darpel?
Members on SSP weren’t able to find anything. It doesn’t appear they have much of a portfolio running a quick google search, either. There’s “Darpel & Associates” that operates in Fennville, Michigan however. If these are the same builders, then it would be their first Canadian project. Would be apt for a Michigan firm to choose Hamilton as a landing site.

The red brick section reads to me as 1950's commercial modernism; the black is more from the first instances of black brick (I'm thinking early 60s Toronto) on residential, the 90's cheapo office tower glazing is a complete non-sequitur.

In summary, I like the black, not sold on the red, glazing absurd..

The red brick section reads to me as 1950's commercial modernism; the black is more from the first instances of black brick (I'm thinking early 60s Toronto) on residential, the 90's cheapo office tower glazing is a complete non-sequitur.

It’s the latest iteration of ultra economically-optimized development in Hamilton. It’s got the familiar blocky shape with a “modern” swap of materials. I think the red keeps it warm whereas just black would be boring. There’s a chance it could turn out nice as the colours/materials seem to play well, but the facade can afford to be reorganized a bit beforehand.

All in all decent infill, will be pretty forgettable so some retail would be nice to bring something to the table besides residents alone.

Funny, I was going to say swap the black for all red and it'd look a lot warmer. I like the stone (or precast no doubt) lintels, indeed it reminds me of early modern brick buildings. Agreed on that glazing though, not holding out hope on that portion.

Why does everything outside of Toronto go to absolute shit on the podium levels? We don't even do things that well here, but when you see stuff in Hamilton, KW, Oshawa, etc., it just absolutely goes to hell at grade and the levels above.

Why does everything outside of Toronto go to absolute shit on the podium levels? We don't even do things that well here, but when you see stuff in Hamilton, KW, Oshawa, etc., it just absolutely goes to hell at grade and the levels above.
Because they are all desperate for development, and/or believe that it is fleeting, and must take what they can get. That is definetely the Hamilton POV at least.

Suburbia doesn't have to maintain the same level of retail and service availability if you will. In Toronto, a lot of people depend on having everything they need within a certain distance including transit. In suburbia, even in smaller downtown areas, you can't get to everything you need without a car. What that boils down to is that it's just not important enough to spend the extra cost designing, constructing, and insuring retail spaces. Even some of the new developments in downtown Burlington don't have retail, it's bonkers.

I don't agree with it at all, but it's just the facts

Retail is one thing, but why does 2-3 or 2-4 (whatever the height of the podium is) have to look like absolute shit?

Retail is one thing, but why does 2-3 or 2-4 (whatever the height of the podium is) have to look like absolute shit?
Because there’s no standard for better in these cities. And the developers know it. Why deliver any more is the real question.

Back