Toronto 1745 St Clair West | 39.9m | 11s | Kultura | RAW Design

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Will this be the next site for Graywood Developments to carry on with their Scoop Development thats next door??

This site has seen a number of change over, over the year as retail continue to decline in this area
45153040245_0ffc8094cb_b.jpg

45153041265_45eb1a4146_b.jpg

If all 3 of those properties can be assembled then this may be a future project. The former Don's Meats building has been leased out for a couple different tenants off and on, although it hasn't officially been listed for sale yet. I wouldn't mind if a different development who's not Graywood takes a look at this though.

If all 3 of those properties can be assembled then this may be a future project. The former Don's Meats building has been leased out for a couple different tenants off and on, although it hasn't officially been listed for sale yet. I wouldn't mind if a different development who's not Graywood takes a look at this though.
I threw out Graywood since they are already there and have no objection for a different developer. The turnover of the rental unit been high and sure if the right price can be had for all those building, more mid-rise buildings can be built. The whole area is need of a major makeover.

Made a quick capture of the upcoming developments for the St. Clair Ave W and Old Weston Rd intersection. Graywood's Scoop and Scout condos along with 383 Old Weston project being the main ones confirmed for now. Heard rumours about the Flea Market being redeveloped in the future. Renovation and revamping of the Heydon House would also go a long way in revitalizing the area.

St Clair Weston.jpg

The flea market site has been sold and will be redeveloped into rentals, perhaps as many as 1500 units in total.

1500 units would definitely be a game changer in the area. Personally wouldn't mind seeing the Bingo hall bite the dust one day.

The SW corner building at St. Clair W and Hounslow Heath had signage on its front windows saying it'll be the future location of the "St. Clair Flea Market". I imagine they're just going to make use of the current building.

Last edited by a moderator:
1500 units would definitely be a game changer in the area. Personally wouldn't mind seeing the Bingo hall bite the dust one day.

I hope the Cash Money on the corner of St. Clair and Old Weston Road goes soon. It's a single-storey building fronting onto St. Clair and Old Weston Road with a parking lot. What a lousy use of a corner lot on a streetcar line.

I hope the Cash Money on the corner of St. Clair and Old Weston Road goes soon. It's a single-storey building fronting onto St. Clair and Old Weston Road with a parking lot. What a lousy use of a corner lot on a streetcar line.

The SW and SE corners for sure need to be developed. I wonder how the SW corner remains fenced up and abandoned for so long. It's an easy candidate for a mid rise. Or if they're somehow holding out until if the Bingo place sells someday to combine properties.

Last edited:
The SW and SE corners for sure need to be developed. I wonder how the SW corner remains fenced up and abandoned for so long. It's an easy candidate for a mid rise. Or if they're somehow holding out until if the Bingo place sells someday to combine properties.

The southwest corner could be contaminated because it used to house a gas station, but it would be a small part of any land assembly anyway.

The flea market site has been sold and will be redeveloped into rentals, perhaps as many as 1500 units in total.
Bold claim considering it is OP designated half as Core Employment and half as General Employment: (EDIT: I was mistaken; the flea market site is all General Employment (light purple). The Core Employment (dark purple) to the west is for the bottling plant, concrete batching plant, and other properties fronting Townsley St. and Union St.)

Last edited:
New provincial policy makes converting most employment lands much easier.

Well the new provincial policy creates a new path to conversion, but it's still not a walk in the park. A developer or speculator buying employment lands should act very carefully. A Place to Grow: Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (May 2019) allows employment land conversions as follows:

2.2.5.9 The conversion of lands within employment areas to non-employment uses may be permitted only through a municipal comprehensive review where it is demonstrated that:

a) there is a need for the conversion;
b) the lands are not required over the horizon of this Plan for the employment purposes for which they are designated;
c) the municipality will maintain sufficient employment lands to accommodate forecasted employment growth to the horizon of this Plan;
d) the proposed uses would not adversely affect the overall viability of the employment area or the achievement of the minimum intensification and density targets in this Plan, as well as the other policies of this Plan; and
e) there are existing or planned infrastructure and public service facilities to accommodate the proposed uses.

2.2.5.10 Notwithstanding policy 2.2.5.9, until the next municipal comprehensive review, lands within existing employment areas may be converted to a designation that permits non-employment uses, provided the conversion would:

a) satisfy the requirements of policy 2.2.5.9 a), d) and e);
b) maintain a significant number of jobs on those lands through the establishment of development criteria; and
c) not include any part of an employment area identified as a provincially significant employment zone.

And the City's Planning and Housing Committee just adopted the following staff recommendation with respect to proposed changes to the Provincial Policy Statement:

4. City Council advise the Province that the City of Toronto does not support the proposed policy 1.3.2.5 that would allow employment land conversions to occur in advance of the Municipal Comprehensive Review.

Which indicates a general resistance among staff and this Committee to the idea of non-MCR conversions. We'll see what happens at Council, but I'd bet they adopt the Committee action.

EDIT: I have raised this conversation about employment conversions of the Flea Market lands over to that site's thread and we can continue there for anyone who wishes to.

Last edited:
Looks like that means the Kings Delight and Don Meats buildings are to be redeveloped. While as mentioned earlier, the corner building at Hounslow Heath is to be maintained for adapted usage.

Last edited:

Back