Toronto Spirits Condominiums | 93.9m | 28s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini

For starters, I had hard feelings about this project mainly because of the site it occupies. As stated in the article, this address was until recently occupied by a Canada post office. What the article fails to mention is that it was one of the only remaining original civic/commercial buildings in Don Mills dating from the mid 1950's. Its architect was John B. Parkin, who was an integral component of giving Don Mills its mid century modern identity. I actually think Parkin was one of the most important architects in this city in the 20th century, but sadly, many of his modernist buildings have succumbed to the wrecking ball (Bata headquarters, original Don Mills Centre, Parkin headquarters). The post office in question was typical Parkin: a rectilinear silhouette with simple clean white accent lines gave the building a restrained elegance. While it may have not looked like much to the average passer by, it displayed many of the architectural elements used throughout the design of Don Mills. It really is a shame that it, and many other architecturally significant buildings in the area are disappearing due to lack of foresight and virtually no heritage conservation.

While these preliminary renderings don't show much in terms of what the towers will actually look like, i'm quite disappointed with the general silhouettes– especially the wrap-around balcony corrugation. I think this design trend has been seen too often in this city with recent condo constructions, and gives a choppy appearance to these types of structures. Not to mention, it does nothing in terms of fitting into the architectural context of this neighbourhood. I really wish this had at least been another medium-height project like Flaire, which I think has a more appropriate scale for this area. While i'm not usually a stickler for height when it comes to condo projects, I am in this case because of its location. What set Don Mills apart from other mid century suburbs is that it incorporated medium height density housing with single family homes. Flaire and Reflections pays homage to this neighbourhood design principle, while this project completely disregards it. At the moment, the only silver lining is that Hariri Pontarini are at the healm of this project so hopefully the finishings/materials are of better quality....As for the overall design, I invite the architects to take a tour of Don Mills and draw inspiration from the forms and motifs of the neighbourhood's built architecture.

The proposal certainly does not reflect the intensions of the zoning bylaws that pertain to the area. The bylaws here are not so hopelessly out-of-date as they are in much of the city, having been written since the Places To Grow Act came into effect, and having been written to take the intensification policies into account. The bylaws are looking for 8-storey buildings, but were amended for Flaire immediately to the south to allow for it to be 11 storeys. 34 and 39 storey point towers in this area simply isn't what the City envisions for the Don Mills Centre area.

For starters, I had hard feelings about this project mainly because of the site it occupies. As stated in the article, this address was until recently occupied by a Canada post office. What the article fails to mention is that it was one of the only remaining original civic/commercial buildings in Don Mills dating from the mid 1950's. Its architect was John B. Parkin, who was an integral component of giving Don Mills its mid century modern identity. I actually think Parkin was one of the most important architects in this city in the 20th century, but sadly, many of his modernist buildings have succumbed to the wrecking ball (Bata headquarters, original Don Mills Centre, Parkin headquarters). The post office in question was typical Parkin: a rectilinear silhouette with simple clean white accent lines gave the building a restrained elegance. While it may have not looked like much to the average passer by, it displayed many of the architectural elements used throughout the design of Don Mills. It really is a shame that it, and many other architecturally significant buildings in the area are disappearing due to lack of foresight and virtually no heritage conservation.

While these preliminary renderings don't show much in terms of what the towers will actually look like, i'm quite disappointed with the general silhouettes– especially the wrap-around balcony corrugation. I think this design trend has been seen too often in this city with recent condo constructions, and gives a choppy appearance to these types of structures. Not to mention, it does nothing in terms of fitting into the architectural context of this neighbourhood. I really wish this had at least been another medium-height project like Flaire, which I think has a more appropriate scale for this area. While i'm not usually a stickler for height when it comes to condo projects, I am in this case because of its location. What set Don Mills apart from other mid century suburbs is that it incorporated medium height density housing with single family homes. Flaire and Reflections pays homage to this neighbourhood design principle, while this project completely disregards it. At the moment, the only silver lining is that Hariri Pontarini are at the healm of this project so hopefully the finishings/materials are of better quality....As for the overall design, I invite the architects to take a tour of Don Mills and draw inspiration from the forms and motifs of the neighbourhood's built architecture.
PostOfficeDonMills1.jpg

PostOfficeDonMills2.jpg

Photos: TOBuilt

^"It will block the sight lines to the CN Tower" is a new argument opposing development that I have not heard before, especially considering the distance from said tower.

^"It will block the sight lines to the CN Tower" is a new argument opposing development that I have not heard before, especially considering the distance from said tower.
Yeah, that one was odd. It will block views of the CN Tower from where (one's personal bedroom?)? One can view the CN Tower from LivLofts, but it isn't visible at street level from anywhere near The Donway.

Honestly I can't be bothered reading all of that statement. The grammar is too terrible for me to take this group seriously. It is unfortunate that they have been missing their indoor mall chatting since 2012.

What a wonderful/terrible summary of entrenched NIMBY sentiment. It surely warrants sociological study.

This is likely to be the sixth condo development at the Shops at Don Mills. The two phases of the fourth, Rodeo Drive, are for sale now. The fifth is likely to be to the east of Rodeo Drive as that site has the zoning it needs. With the huge increase in density being sought here, this might not be resolved for a couple of years, during which time the one across from Rodeo Drive can be marketed and sold.

Here's what the site looked like on the weekend, looking northeast, now cleared of the old Canada Post building:

DSC08777.jpg
DSC08778.jpg

In the Rodeo Drive sales centre, the spot where these two buildings are proposed to be built still has an acrylic placeholder for the old post office…
DSC08801.jpg

…but you can see how this site fits into the larger picture of the Shops site.
DSC08809.jpg
DSC08899.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08777.jpg
    DSC08777.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC08778.jpg
    DSC08778.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC08801.jpg
    DSC08801.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC08809.jpg
    DSC08809.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 501
  • DSC08899.jpg
    DSC08899.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 568
I've been assuming that sales at Flaire weren't fast enough for CadFair to feel confident enough to spend the BIG money on the next project.

HPA is not the Cracker Barrel.

Are the Shops at Don Mills a huge success? We counted about a dozen empty shops when we were there on the weekend.

Back