Toronto 1685 Eglinton Avenue West | 128.5m | 37s | Shelborne | Kirkor

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
These low rise apartment buildings at 1675-1675 Eglinton West are the subject of a new OPA/ZBA in the AIC.

1724682714578.png

The app:

From the Planning Report:

1724682890408.png

1724682951223.png

1724682998361.png

1724683021321.png

Site Plan:

1724683062670.png

Ground Floor Plan:
1724683108388.png

1724683172302.png

Elevators: 4 for 416 units; or 1 per 104 units, this will likely get the @ProjectEnd stamp of approval.

Parking: 83 resident spaces to 416 units is a ratio of 0.2

Comments: This proposal needs to be read together with the one for the plaza just to the west (1711) same block, same architect.

On the architecture, very similar to the plaza site, except using several shade of green on the podium with a white tower. In general, I would mind one of the more flattering shades of green for the entire thing, instead of the KirKor special of two too many. But as I suggested going all terracotta on the one next door, doing green next to it, might be a bit too much Christmas in August.

The vehicle access from Eglinton is a bit more problematic now.....

Height is a reasonable ask.

@HousingNowTO will wish to make note of this as its MTSA material.

@Paclo

Not sure how I feel about this one. We need more density along Eglinton but I do feel for all the people being demovicted.

Agreed.

I think on the whole I feel positive - it's a great location for needed density, with Dufferin / Eglinton clearly developing into a future node, this site being between two crosstown stops but still walking distance to Line 1. Design appears attractive, and this would be a rare case of a new development actually adding rather than taking retail from a main street.

However, I still lament the loss of these 3.5 storey apartment blocks. I know from experience living in similar buildings that they often have the most livable apartment designs, and personally I always preferred living in apartments on the first 4 floors of buildings, rather than up in the sky. Plus, it will force out existing tenants who have suffered through the unending Crosstown construction, just as they could have benefited from the project's positive effects.

A well-thought-out rental replacement program here is a must.

Not sure how I feel about this one. We need more density along Eglinton but I do feel for all the people being demovicted.
I used to live here. This isn’t bloor west. It’s ok to rip down everything and anything in not so posh neighbourhoods. But touching anything on bloor is like commuting a deadly sin.

Back