Oakville 166 South Service Road East | 194m | 58s | Distrikt Group | Sweeny &Co

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another project by Distrikt Developments in Midtown Oakville, near Oakville GO, popped up on their website. Located north-west of their Distrikt Station project, at a site on South Service Road East which is currently a Hiker’s Haven store. The provided rendering has 3 towers, with the tallest being 30 storeys.

The Distrikt website describes it as:
Transit Orientated High Density Land, Institutional Fund Partnership

Strategic land acquisition in rapidly developing Oakville GO Station node. Immediate proximity to Oakville GO Station, in area of tremendous residential and retail at-grade mixed use development demand. Zoning underway.

+900,000 SF Residential and Mixed-Use High-Rise Community

6572F424-CA5F-4FF9-BC5B-2ADCD22D8652.jpeg

So that’s the Home Depot to the right of the picture, the QEW in the foreground, something imaginary in both the left side of the visualization and the background….? Someone’s imagination runs wild, compared to the actual site.

Yeah, supercool that it comes with a volcano in the distance! Looks like it's just offshore of Stoney Creek. It is about time we sexed-up the west end of Lake Ontario, and what, with an election coming, who knows what we could get?!

It is rather wild to finally be seeing this kind of density proposed within walking distance of Oakville GO. There are plans for a pedestrian bridge over the QEW to Oakville Place somewhere near here too… right? Anyone know for certain?

The pier in the middle of the QEW was built for the ped bridge over a decade ago, so yes, there are plans for a ped bridge.

There are a whole bunch of transportation improvements planned in the area to support the urban growth centre, including a new road bridge over the QEW east of Trafalgar as well.
Yup, here it is. It’s great they planned ahead, but with developments coming I hope they follow through and build the pedestrian connection.

90E460C0-C5BB-4B22-9DCF-C74D26D86865.jpeg

I was thinking that these Sweeny designs were a big downgrade from the Quadrangle design I just saw... until I realized there are 2 mega-developments from Distrikt blocks apart ... in Oakville!

So 58, 50 and 44 storeys for 166 South Service Road above^^
+
Distrikt Station @ 58, 49 and 44 storeys - Quadrangle (better design imo) a few blocks away... wow.
https://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/default/files/images/projects/48374/48374-145352.jpeg
UT
Yup, it’s wild how much growth is being proposed. With Halton not expanding its urban growth boundary density is the new name of the game.

For those interested in the other Distrikt mega development for Midtown Oakville, link is here.

It would be interesting to see that overhead shot with all applications for Developement shown For this area. There are a number. Note that developement notifications are up at the long dormant site at the corner of Lyons and Speers.

I think the ”hole in the doughnut” would be the GO parking lots themselves - prime redevelopment with the westerly lot ( between Lyons and Cross overlooking the river), and then the east side of Trafalgar - the old Chevy dealer). Then that would leave the main station lots with GO/VIA and OT connections just begging for better utilization.

Add in some potential commercial sites nearby for Developement - the large site of the GE factory fronting on the QEW being one, and you could certainly feed usage into Midtown.

By the end of the decade people will be talking about the Oakville skyline… probably with great views of it further up along Trafalgar as the street inclines towards Upper Middle and Dundas.

The pier in the middle of the QEW was built for the ped bridge over a decade ago, so yes, there are plans for a ped bridge.

There are a whole bunch of transportation improvements planned in the area to support the urban growth centre, including a new road bridge over the QEW east of Trafalgar as well.
I always wondered what that was built for. Did they cancel the bridge at some point?

Back