Toronto 1613 St Clair West | 62.75m | 17s | Nova Ridge | SvN

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
First noted as a redevelopment prospect on UT by @AlbertC back in 2018, in this post:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/st-clair-west.5198/post-1584977,

we now have an application into the AIC:

1657265836549.png

This site is next to the Barrie GO Corridor, just west of Caledonia Road.

Streetview is here:

1657265939598.png

While, an aerial photo from TO Maps can be seen here, with the property highlighted in yellow:

1657265999254.png

Site Size: ~2800m2/30000ft2

Oh........and

* Docs are Up *

Architect is SvN

Proponent is Novaridge Development

1657266110985.png

1657266681876.png

1657266396561.png

1657266358236.png

1657266262964.png

1657266529368.png

1657266560653.png

1657266599939.png

Notes: Height exceeds allowabale based on road width but is broadly consistent w/area precedent, notably the proposal to the north.

However, there is incremental shadow of note on Earlscourt Park, as well as Don Panos Parkette; this may prove a somewhat more material issue to the applicant in respect of the current height/massing.

Interesting that Dairy Freeze isn't part of this.
He's holding out for dear life....he should have cashed out and they could have tied both lots together.

He's holding out for dear life....he should have cashed out and they could have tied both lots together.

Dairy Freeze is a very busy and popular spot during both the day and night. It's really great for that intersection that there's a well trafficked place there. This condo will definitely help but Dairy Freeze does a surprisingly good job of keeping it from being sketchy at times.

Interesting that Dairy Freeze isn't part of this.
Quite the opposite, actually. Cash flow on Dairy Freeze is insane. Same reason Apache didn't sell out to Liberty in Etobicoke. These classic Toronto burger joints do gangbusters, especially since they own the land and don't pay rent.

Awkward residual spacing aside, I do think this intersection will remain a better place with Dairy Freeze than without it. Although I don't necessarily go to them often, Dairy Freeze and Burger Shack up at Oriole Parkway & Eg West from my high school days are a couple of my more memorable old school burger joints in the city. There's also a place called Jumbo Burgers over at Runnymede & Dundas W in the tail end of the Junction that I haven't tried before but seems to have decent ratings based on Google reviews.

This building is way to0 high for the close proximity to the park. Earlscourt park needs to keep its openness and its sky, for the public enjoyment. This building is repressive in relation to Earlscourt park. 1500 St. Clair West will not have that same repressive effect because it is further away. I truly hope they decrease this building's height to 8 stories, similar to the one across the street!!! Dairy Freeze, you stay strong.

yikes, what a train wreck! the lower section with the alternately spaced windows set against the offset balconies on the upper section just looks way too busy. it actually makes me dizzy to look at the rendering.

This building is way too high for the close proximity to the park. Earlscourt park needs to keep its openness and its sky, for the public enjoyment. This building is repressive in relation to Earlscourt park. 1500 St. Clair West will not have that same repressive effect because it is further away. I truly hope they decrease this building's height to 8 stories, similar to the one across the street!!! Dairy Freeze, you stay strong.
I disagree strongly with this. St. Clair is a major street. Everything around the park should be densified considerably. The park is big...it's not going to shadow the park. Let's densify, and improve the area, and make it a home for more people!

This building is way too high for the close proximity to the park. Earlscourt park needs to keep its openness and its sky, for the public enjoyment. This building is repressive in relation to Earlscourt park. 1500 St. Clair West will not have that same repressive effect because it is further away. I truly hope they decrease this building's height to 8 stories, similar to the one across the street!!! Dairy Freeze, you stay strong.
How high is the park in relation to this building? That should help with this a bit, right?

This one is the subject of a Decision Report - Approval Recommended to the next meeting of TEYCC:

Height unchanged; but there have been revisions:

1686589507819.png

The above shows the effect of the angular plane rules being relaxed.........but there's something else here that UT's resident urban planners and architects will take interest in.........
as will @HousingNowTO

Have a look at the floor plate sizes

1686589688541.png

Revised Renders: (March '23)

1686589847627.png

1686589877275.png

1686589909205.png

Back