Toronto TD Terrace (160 Front W) | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Fun pic of Simcoe Place. I'd say that was taken in autumn 1993 or maybe spring 1994 (as the trees are just starting to bud).

For those interested in the recent history of our City, especially real estate, it's worth reading Mary Gooderham's A Building Goes Up: The Making of a Skyscraper , which originally appeared as a series of columns in the Globe, but was then compiled into a book. For folks who have grown up in the current climate of unending construction, remember that this was the only office tower to go up in the mid-90s and one of the only significant buildings at all to go up around that time.

It's definitely useful to consider that most cities go through staggered phases of robust growth spurts followed by periods of relative inaction and stasis - roughly coinciding with economic booms and dips. In that regard, many younger Torontonians may be forgiven for thinking that the horizon in this town has always been dotted with cranes.

Fun pic of Simcoe Place. I'd say that was taken in autumn 1993 or maybe spring 1994 (as the trees are just starting to bud).

For those interested in the recent history of our City, especially real estate, it's worth reading Mary Gooderham's A Building Goes Up: The Making of a Skyscraper , which originally appeared as a series of columns in the Globe, but was then compiled into a book. For folks who have grown up in the current climate of unending construction, remember that this was the only office tower to go up in the mid-90s and one of the only significant buildings at all to go up around that time.

I kind of pegged it for sometime in the 80's, as those taxi's look a bit pre 90's to me.

The Archives date it as 1986, or 1987

Without sounding too pompous, the archives are wrong. Building started construction in late 1992 and was complete midway through 1995.

Not that PE needs the affirmation, but I concur w/his timeline here.

This happened during the Rae era at Queen's Park ('90-'95).

Emporis pegs it at '93-'95: https://www.emporis.com/buildings/112661/simcoe-place-toronto-canada

As does SSP: https://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=1554

The ACO notes the completion date at '95 also, but doesn't mention a start date.

thumbnail_IMG_3073.jpg

Without sounding too pompous, the archives are wrong. Building started construction in late 1992 and was complete midway through 1995.
You do not seem pompous and I am not doubting you. I only stated what the Archives, the source of the photos said. They are always keen to correct their info, as you appear to be correct (@Northern Light is never wrong!) , you might want to email them at archives@toronto.ca

Cheers

Generally the Archives have too many photos to start correcting them individually. Most of the dates are wrong, or, at least, have 5+ year spans from when they 'could' have been created.

If you look in my 160 Front St album on my Flickr site, you will find a number shots of the building and the area before construction started.

Edit:
March 17, 2019
46523840565_89ed47810f_b.jpg

33563029188_300f061218_b.jpg
What I'd like to see are pix from decades past. I'm thinking there once was a cornice here that was stripped off.

Ah, I see the pix now. Maybe the cornice was stripped off before the 1950s but the point is moot.
There always seems to have been a 'decorative top' in the photos and I cannot see how a cornice would fit around that. Yes, an elaborate cornice could have been stripped off before 1950 and a 'decorative' masonry top added but it seems unlikely. Not all Victorian buildings had cornices, just as not all new condos today have nail salons or pot shops!

Back