Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

1B76C145-8920-45D3-B162-9377CAD4B5CA.jpeg

A report to the next meeting of TEYCC recommends approval for construction of a new PATH Connection between this development and Simcoe Place to the west across Simcoe Street.

Yes, details:

PCL Constructors Canada Incorporated, is constructing an underground pedestrian tunnel under Simcoe Street that will connect 160 Front Street West to 200 Front Street West as part of the new building being constructed at 160 Front Street West (also known as 156-174 Front Street West and 43-51 Simcoe Street). In order to facilitate the construction of the underground tunnel, Simcoe Street between Front Street West and Wellington Street West will be closed to vehicular traffic.

Transportation Services is requesting authorization to close the entire roadway of Simcoe Street including the east side and west side sidewalks, between Front Street West and a point 70 metres north, for a period of 17 months (i.e., August 20, 2021 to January 30, 2023) to accommodate the construction of the underground tunnel.

Pedestrian movements on the east side of Simcoe Street will be restricted and pedestrians will be directed to a pedestrian walkway, located on private property, on the west side of Simcoe Street. Traffic lanes on Simcoe Street, abutting the site, will be restricted. However, bike lanes for both northbound and southbound cyclists will be maintained at all times throughout the project.

In addition, it is recommended that the eastbound curb lane on Wellington Street West, between Simcoe Street and John Street be closed for a period of 17 months (i.e., August 20, 2021 to January 30, 2023). This closure was deemed the most appropriate way to ensure eastbound vehicles do not become trapped at the intersection of Simcoe Street and Wellington Street West due to the closure, the existing one-way southbound operation of Simcoe Street north of Wellington Street West, and the one-way westbound operation of Wellington Street West east of Simcoe Street.​

Yes, details:

PCL Constructors Canada Incorporated, is constructing an underground pedestrian tunnel under Simcoe Street that will connect 160 Front Street West to 200 Front Street West as part of the new building being constructed at 160 Front Street West (also known as 156-174 Front Street West and 43-51 Simcoe Street). In order to facilitate the construction of the underground tunnel, Simcoe Street between Front Street West and Wellington Street West will be closed to vehicular traffic.

Transportation Services is requesting authorization to close the entire roadway of Simcoe Street including the east side and west side sidewalks, between Front Street West and a point 70 metres north, for a period of 17 months (i.e., August 20, 2021 to January 30, 2023) to accommodate the construction of the underground tunnel.

Pedestrian movements on the east side of Simcoe Street will be restricted and pedestrians will be directed to a pedestrian walkway, located on private property, on the west side of Simcoe Street. Traffic lanes on Simcoe Street, abutting the site, will be restricted. However, bike lanes for both northbound and southbound cyclists will be maintained at all times throughout the project.

In addition, it is recommended that the eastbound curb lane on Wellington Street West, between Simcoe Street and John Street be closed for a period of 17 months (i.e., August 20, 2021 to January 30, 2023). This closure was deemed the most appropriate way to ensure eastbound vehicles do not become trapped at the intersection of Simcoe Street and Wellington Street West due to the closure, the existing one-way southbound operation of Simcoe Street north of Wellington Street West, and the one-way westbound operation of Wellington Street West east of Simcoe Street.​
17 months to build a tunnel?

it's not a tunnel in the boonies. there is going to be a lot of infrastructure above it. it's complicated.
Fair enough. I remember reading in an excellent article on this site about some crosstown LRT stations that were installing ceiling slabs first before excavating below, allowing the street to remain partially open through most of construction. I guess I was sort of thinking they could have done something like that here, but that’s an unrealistic expectation perhaps.

Back