Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

If it's true that Sunlife is going in this building then that's a shame. I would have hoped to see new companies moving in here, not companies that have been here for decades moving down the street to a new place. What's wrong with their King & University office?

Really? There's more breaking news? It's been an exciting week in development land. I didn't think that Sunlife would ever move either. But at least the south core will be completed with construction in about 4 years.

If it's true that Sunlife is going in this building then that's a shame. I would have hoped to see new companies moving in here, not companies that have been here for decades moving down the street to a new place. What's wrong with their King & University office?

You do realize about 90% of the moves are indeed companies have have been in the core for years ! The reasons are always the same:
1) Consolidation (i.e. leases in multiple properties)
- So this means they need more space in a single building (but not more space overall).
2) Typically this is also accompanied by a downsizing in space per employee, not the # of employees mind you, that may even grow (and generally the lease will account for that by leasing extra space for that they can sub-lease until needed).
3) Lower gross operating expenses due to more energy efficient buildings (typically this implies slightly lower net rentals rates).

haha that too !

I was trying to find that little blurb I read about sun life moving a little while back but I couldn't, I thought it was in a Q2 Toronto office market report. I'm sure about it though, just not sure where : - )

damn. Get us all excited for nothing. Did the render have a different building design? or just the sun life logo on the current design?

at least this means Sun-Life is seriously considering moving.

damn. Get us all excited for nothing. Did the render have a different building design? or just the sun life logo on the current design?

It was the same design, but with a SunLife logo. You're not missing much.

All it means is that they'd like a blue chip anchor tenant like Sun Life. Artists often plaster well know corporate names on their proposals as a marketing tactic. It doesn't mean these companies are moving in or even that they're considering a move.

Last edited:

Back