Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

Brick? Never knew about that.
It's in some podium renderings in our database file, from the initial design. (The rounded end has subsequently been squared off.) There were no close-ups of the podium for the final design, but here's one of the early ones:

urbantoronto-8676-29458.jpg

It's obviously precast panels that are going up, but what I don't know at this point is whether these are embedded brick veneers (probably) or moulded, stained, and painted all-precast panels.

I'm always struck by how uninviting, drab, and depressing the public realm is on 95% of our streets. Super narrow concrete sidewalks, no green buffer between the sidewalk and the road, lamp posts/traffic lights that do absolutely nothing to elevate the experience, and a jumbled mess of overhead electrical? Every square inch of it is ugly. Even when we manage good architecture we fall down because everything besides the building is terrible.

I'm assuming that once the downtown is built out they'll turn their attention to fixing it all?

It's in some podium renderings in our database file, from the initial design. (The rounded end has subsequently been squared off.) There were no close-ups of the podium for the final design, but here's one of the early ones:

urbantoronto-8676-29458.jpg

It's obviously precast panels that are going up, but what I don't know at this point is whether these are embedded brick veneers (probably) or moulded, stained, and painted all-precast panels.

Those windows on the podium look very cheap too. They remind me of windows people rip out.

I'm always struck by how uninviting, drab, and depressing the public realm is on 95% of our streets. Super narrow concrete sidewalks, no green buffer between the sidewalk and the road, lamp posts/traffic lights that do absolutely nothing to elevate the experience, and a jumbled mess of overhead electrical? Every square inch of it is ugly. Even when we manage good architecture we fall down because everything besides the building is terrible.

I'm assuming that once the downtown is built out they'll turn their attention to fixing it all?

You’re not getting grass between sidewalk and the street. Not downtown in highly dense locations. The grass would not grow from people walking on it.

You’re not getting grass between sidewalk and the street. Not downtown in highly dense locations. The grass would not grow from people walking on it.

Honestly isaidso's probably talking about street trees, which would make sense in a situation like this- but I'd say that there probably isn't even room for trees unless the road gets narrowed.

The area isn't too bad though, on the other corners of Wellesley and Sherbourne, there's a good amount of visual green space.

Shit brown? Not a good choice for brick colour.
The 1970's colour palette is back in style, haven't you heard?! Brown on beige on taupe on brown on cream on mocha, with a splash of terra cotta.

I nearly gagged writing that.

whats up with all the developers recently. they show a different color in renders and use different color materials.

whats up with all the developers recently. they show a different color in renders and use different color materials.

Developers can do whatever they want. We all know that.

I’ll wait till I see the glass before I judge this. It’s not off to a good job with the fake rookie brown brick. I hope thry didn’t think they could bring in the C team because the area isn’t King West.

Back