Toronto 1500 Bayview | 32.09m | 8s | Medallion | BDP Quadrangle

Community Consultation Meeting (online/telephone)
Thursday, May 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Webex registration link listed on:

The new rendering is updated in the database!

The total building storey count increased from 9 storeys to 8 storeys. The total building height increased from 32.3m to 32.48m. While the total unit count decreased from 156 units to 153 units. Finally, the total parking decreased from 170 parking spaces to 128 parking spaces.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-1.jpg

I drove past the Davenport garden center (at 1500) on Saturday and noticed it was gone. There was a development board up though I didn't slow down to look at the details. The garden structure was all year round as it's where I bought my Christmas tree as well.

I drove past the Davenport garden center (at 1500) on Saturday and noticed it was gone. There was a development board up though I didn't slow down to look at the details. The garden structure was all year round as it's where I bought my Christmas tree as well.

Interesting. Most supermarkets take their garden centres down seasonally even if they do sell Christmas Trees.

Metro at Shopper's World removed theirs in July; they usually sell Christmas trees up against the store wall/windows; Loblaws at VP/Gerrard keeps theirs up in to the fall usually, but takes it down before winter.

Interesting. Most supermarkets take their garden centres down seasonally even if they do sell Christmas Trees.

Metro at Shopper's World removed theirs in July; they usually sell Christmas trees up against the store wall/windows; Loblaws at VP/Gerrard keeps theirs up in to the fall usually, but takes it down before winter.
It's an outpost of the Davenport Garden center, not affiliated with the store. so you could buy stuff all year round, or at least most of the year. Expensive but high quality.

So, this one was appealed to the OLT last August.

It is the subject of an Appeals Report to the next meeting of NYCC:

I read the principle objections here as being around public realm:

1676037411950.png

1676037482143.png

There are some, what I think are fairly trivial issues around outdoor amenity space, and some quibbling about SPA items (right down to where a Green P pay and display machine will be sited, but this is not the stuff of yay or nay to a building. There are also some technical studies outstanding.

On balance, I expect a settlement here.

Last edited:
This area has been a relatively low traffic and quaint location for generations (compared to downtown and anything along Yonge St).

Demographics: construction of this site will need to consider elderly pedestrians, young families, and dog walkers as a priority when designing the ground level. It must be pleasant to walk by, stop at, and walk through.
For example,
  • having green space and seating is essential as pedestrian traffic increases significantly on weekends (and elderly folks walk the most around mid-day).
  • Not creating a concrete deadspace infront of the building, but instead having pathways between grassy zones as well as benches. We need grass and greenery in this area! It's not the same as downtown and should definitely be considered when designing the landscaping.
  • Not extending above 8 stories is also important as it obstructs and influences nature (ie wind tunnels, sunlight to sidewalk etc).
  • Preserving the existing trees which are still young and growing there. They were planted as an initiative to remove carbon. Note: new and young trees do not do remove carbon dioxide. We need them to mature beyond 20 years before we can see air quality differences.. this clearly takes time, so preserving already existing trees will serve to benefit our environmental initiative for the neighborhood.
The building itself, ie the units: Floorplans should be practical and prioritize living patterns and den space that can comfortably support at least 2 people.
  • There is a trend I've seen in recent developments that is such a waste of development funds and resources, where they optimize for bedroom and bathroom space. We don't want to live in bedrooms, we are innately social beings and should live in spaces that facilitate that connection with our family/partner! No more isolation- oriented floorplans! If needed, just put half rise floors (semi-loft) or a sliding door.
  • Optimize the limited square footage by ditching the elongated rectangle kitchen-to-living floorplan which is visually cramming and suboptimal living conditions for families (2+ people).
  • I've seen countless "Never Too Small" videos and it's mind-blowing how much can be optimized even with limited square footage, so there are no excuses!
I believe that we can make this site beneficial to its residents and to the community, so long as we consider the lifestyle patterns and needs for each. Thank you for reading my post.

Last edited:
Adopted, but confidential documents still confidential.

Normally it takes about a week for the minutes to come out and the docs to become public, though the May meeting took til about the first week of June. (I'd have to look, but 3-4 weeks)

That said, Councillors often leak things immediately after, always good to check what they're tweeting.

Then there are out the outliers, 2 settlement offers, on which Council adopted recommendations in March, were still not public as of last week.

Back