Toronto 150 Queens Wharf | 96m | 29s | CreateTO | DTAH

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, but from Cllr. Cressy's Newsletter:
I'm very excited that the Affordable Housing Committee has identified Block 36 North in the Railway Lands as a priority site for the City's Open Door policy, which seeks to speed up the process for building new affordable housing in our City.

Block 36 North will be one of the last blocks of land to be developed in CityPlace. Currently a part of the empty lot beside the Fort York Library, Block 36 is owned by TCHC and was allocated many years ago as a future site for new affordable housing in the City. However, given TCHC's $2.7 billion dollar repair backlog and the lack of stable funding from the federal and provincial governments for affordable housing, it continues to sit vacant. Over the past number of months, I have been working hard with the Affordable Housing office and TCHC to find ways to prioritize this project to ensure that we are adding affordable housing to address our City's severe housing crisis.

On September 2nd, the Affordable Housing Committee announced that Block 36 North will be prioritized in the City's Open Door policy, which seeks to speed up the process for building new housing across the City. I will be working hard over the coming months with staff in City Planning, as well as the Affordable Housing office and TCHC, to continue to move this project forward.

Press conference scheduled tomorrow morning in CityPlace, likely to announce that this project now has the green light.

It should be a proposal of 15s to 18 storeys, similar to the height of what Minto was allowed north of this?
but with Block 31 no longer having plans for affordable housing, and this now being a TCHC bldg.

Im going to say, they will propose something around 25-30s here with very little opposition to height:eek:

It should be a proposal of 15s to 18 storeys, similar to the height of what Minto was allowed north of this?
but with Block 31 no longer having plans for affordable housing, and this now being a TCHC bldg.

Im going to say, they will propose something around 25-30s here with very little opposition to height:eek:

It's 8s.

Why would you expect it to change?

edit: I remember seeing a render of the building about 2 years ago - and it was 14 storeys

edit 2: it was KPMB as well

Last edited:
Why would you expect it to change?

edit: I remember seeing a render of the building about 2 years ago - and it was 14 storeys

edit 2: it was KPMB as well

From the RFP done in 2012:

Block 36 North in the Railway Lands is 1,537.8 square metres (0.38 acres) in size and zoned to accommodate a 6 to 9 storey residential building with retail at grade. The as-of-right density is 6,163 square metres (66,338 square feet). However, it is TCHC’s opinion that the site can accommodate in the range of 100,000 square feet of density.

http://www.torontohousing.ca/download/RFP+36-12+Railway+Lands.pdf

And based on a review of neighbouring Block 32, TCHC no longer wants to build tall buildings, as they cost too much to maintain and create a number of safety issues. The recommendation out of their review is to stick to under 100 units per building going forward. Don't expect anything tall.

And based on a review of neighbouring Block 32, TCHC no longer wants to build tall buildings, as they cost too much to maintain and create a number of safety issues. The recommendation out of their review is to stick to under 100 units per building going forward. Don't expect anything tall.

That's bit of a waste though - I'd prefer to see them build a midrise in way that would not preclude a private sector high rise portion to be built. A reverse version of the poor man's door.

AoD

In that document they say they expect to go to COA to "maximize" the development potential of the site

edit: looks like John Tory is doing a press conference from this site right now.

5 sites throughout the city, total of 389 units. I think it's safe to say this will be sticking to already approved zoning.

Joe Cressy just said that there will be a "minimum" of 80 units being built on this site.

Back