Toronto 150 Pearl Street | 180m | 57s | Conservatory Group | Richmond Architects

"Let's have seven different architects blindly submit independent designs for competing two-storey blocks of this building and then smash them all together", surely said someone in the design process

You got to love how nigh invisible those balconies look - fat chance that will happen with the glazing chosen.

AoD

I can somewhat appreciate the podium. It is jumbled YES, but often podiums these days are a bit too boring, so I can see an argument being made in the podium's favour. For me it's the tower that disappoints. It is just so mundane. Make it black. Make it red, gold - something. It just looks like a bunch of boring ideas stuck together, do we need a clunker here?

Stuff like *what* exactly? If you've got a positive precedent for this, I'm all ears.

Stuff like keeping the Heritage intact and injecting a modern design overtop to give those old boys some life, .....what's there not to like?

upload_2017-1-3_22-56-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-3_22-56-2.png
    upload_2017-1-3_22-56-2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 966
Stuff like keeping the Heritage intact and injecting a modern design overtop to give those old boys some life, .....what's there not to like?

Keeping the heritage is fine, it's the jumbled addition up top that's the problem. It's a bit everything adding up to not much of anything interesting.

I'm just trying to think how it would be connected, and what might eventually be connected to it further north and west.

Eventually, Scotiabank Theatre?

The two Mirvish + Gehry towers are directly to the south. Given their size and stature, it is inconceivable that they would not be PATH connected. When they are, the tiny jump under Pearl Street is nothing.

Last edited:

Back