Toronto 15 Hollis | 146.6m | 45s | Gairloch | a—A

Other than horrible parking lots, it's very satisfying to see whole blocks of unremarkable detached homes boarded up awaiting demolition for densification...
It's interesting because these are "strawberry box" houses: entry level housing for soldiers returning from WW2 (if I remember correctly). Today, they're being replaced with what will be investor owned rentals or basic starter homes for singles/young couples.

In other words, things have come full circle. Yesterday's entry level housing is replaced with tomorrow's entry level units, but at 20-30x the density.

Other than horrible parking lots, it's very satisfying to see whole blocks of unremarkable detached homes boarded up awaiting demolition for densification...

As long as they're not demolishing block after block of ornate Victorian or Edwardian buildings for generic slab rental towers like in the 1960s, it's nice.

As long as they're not demolishing block after block of ornate Victorian or Edwardian buildings for generic slab rental towers like in the 1960s, it's nice.
That's exactly what I was getting at, yes. I would be horrified to see that happen in Cabbagetown, for example.

Back