Toronto 15 Chisholm | ?m | 6s | Katalyst | BNKC

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Chisholm is a 6-storey residential conversion of a former Masonic temple at Main St and Danforth Ave. Main Street Subway Station is across the street and Danforth GO Station is just 500 metres south of this station.

Currently on site:

The design is pure facadism and not even sensitive (see 426 University Ave). The architect might be able to design a better building without the building there and they are not really preserving any of the heritage. They are even chopping off the cornice line.

Why not cut the heritage building off at the recess? Pull the new building away from the heritage building on the north side? Cantilever the new building from the east (removed portion) over top of the preserved west portion?

All good points. Maybe they are looking to save a few shekels.

I just see the current plan as being much better than simply pulling down the old building.

I kinda disagree. The architect trades off on design to be "sensitive" to the heritage and the heritage basically is destroyed.

The City should allow additional floors on the condition the heritage is better preserved or have the developer pay for removing the heritage which hopefully results in better contemporary design and then the City puts up a stronger fight on prominent, more important heritage structures. Toronto has a tendency to compromise on both and it ends up with perverse designs. Also, stop saving Joe-schmoes house and fight for the preservation of higher grade heritage.

I don't see allowing the developer pay for removing heritage structures translating to better contemporary design - good luck with that. I love the optimism but I sure don't see it happening.

Still difficult to make proper interpretations without official application documents to the City. But I find it interesting that in the rendering, they've kept the Masonic Square and Compasses symbol beside the entrance. I don't believe this is considered a heritage property as a whole. So I wonder if the maintained facade wall with exterior symbology is part of some sort of agreement when the Masons sold it. Or maybe like some things in society we'll never know?

Still difficult to make proper interpretations without official application documents to the City. But I find it interesting that in the rendering, they've kept the Masonic Square and Compasses symbol beside the entrance. I don't believe this is considered a heritage property as a whole. So I wonder if the maintained facade wall with exterior symbology is part of some sort of agreement when the Masons sold it. Or maybe like some things in society we'll never know?
Good question, I noted that too and wondered if it was part of a conditional arrangement they made.

This one had escaped my notice.

I see there's still no application filed w/the City.

Quick thoughts:

Sacrilege though it may be; this is not a heritage facade I feel the need to preserve.

I don't think it's particularly beautiful, or historically significant, the context, between a small park and a KFC doesn't demand it.

Here, I would rather see the money go to quality contemporary design.

The site also could offer an opportunity to modestly enlarge the narrow park to its north, 'Stanley Grizzle Park:".

It's one of those over the subway tunnel parks; and would benefit from a bit more space to enlarge its tiny playground, and/or incorporate a rain garden to address the storm water generated by this development.

While I also considered the idea of a second exit for Main Station here, this building is sited well to the west of the western extent of the platforms and therefore doesn't really make sense for that.

Below is an image illustrating a modest widening of the park (roughly 2M) along the length of the building site:

1602423084311.png

From the image above you can see that expansion would roughly harmonize the park across the lane way in terms of its southern limit.

It will also add land next to the park's only feature, the playground.

Further note the presence of a laneway through the park.

It would nice to see this done over with decorative pavers and made a landscape feature.

This is the lane as it is today:

1602423270500.png

The imposing symmetrical Beaux Arts facade is full of character. Moreover, Masonic Temples are the kinds of buildings that were once relatively common but becoming rarer. They're an interesting part of our history. Keeping that history alive by preserving the buildings makes our city seem more interesting on the street.

I haven’t seen anything regarding about this development on the city’s Application Information Centre website and also haven’t seen anything regarding about this development on the city’s building permits website.

does anyone know if this development project is still happening?

Back