Toronto 147 Vaughan Road | 40.6m | 12s | NJS Capital | Arcadis

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
An 11-storey rental building to replace the current 3 apartment buildings on site at 147, 151, and 153 Vaughan Road. This is just north of upcoming project by Block Developments at 133 Vaughan.

147 VAUGHAN RD
Ward 12: Toronto-St. Paul's

Description:
Proposal for an 11-storey residential building containing 83 rental residential dwelling units. The proposed residential gross floor area will be 5,411 square metres.

Vaughan.JPG

An 11-storey building to replace the current 3 apartment buildings on site at 147, 151, and 153 Vaughan Road. This is just north of upcoming project by Block Developments at 133 Vaughan.

147 VAUGHAN RD
Ward 12: Toronto-St. Paul's

Description:
Proposal for an 11-storey residential building containing 83 rental residential dwelling units. The proposed residential gross floor area will be 5,411 square metres.

View attachment 277449

This is the rare case where I lack enthusiasm for intensification, in principle, not merely based on poor execution.

These buildings verge on 'missing middle' already.

They're comparatively compact and dense and offer a nice character to the street; though the hardscaped over yard merits a proverbial smack to someone.

Also that stucco.........🤮

So many better places to redevelop.

This is more of a modest restoration opportunity in my mind.

Last edited:
This is the rare case where I lack enthusiasm for intensification, in principle, not merely based on poor execution.

These buildings verge on 'missing middle' already.

They're comparatively compact and dense and offer a nice character to the street; though the hardscaped over yard merits a proverbial smack to someone.

Also that stucco.........🤮

So many better places to redevelop.

This is more of modest restoration opportunity in my mind.

From my understanding, the north most building among this grouping was originally a twin to the middle building with a brick exterior.

There's a similar stucco/EIFS horror show at the group of apartments at St. Clair W & Oakwood:

st. clair.JPG

Yeah, I can't get on board with this. The existing buildings are exactly the type of thing that the city should be encouraging in the yellow belt. Modest walk ups with no underground parking. They are easy ways to increase affordability and modestly improve density. I imagine the underground parking and elevators will provide more apartments, but likely at a permanently higher price point. I'm generally in favour of intensifying any site near a rapid transit location, but I'm not sure this is the type of thing the city should be encouraging.

Beyond all that... converting three human sized buildings, (ugly as the stucco may be) into one fat building, is suboptimal urbanism. Would buildings like this support any additions in height? Or, if we didn't have parking minimums, would it be economical to develop these lots as three separate buildings? (Assuming the lots hadn't already been bought up by the same developer)

The scale is fine, but please let that be a massing place holder and not a serious render.

Despite my UT name, I actually live very close to this proposal. I feel like a NIMBY, but of all the proposed projects on Vaughan, this one rubs me the wrong way.

-2 of the buildings it will replace are quality older building typologies. (they are reasonably dense, and reasonably affordable.)
-It will have a large width with no retail or street level interest.
-Obviously if that is a real render and not a place holder...

I'm curious to know if the units will be more or less affordable than ones being disrupted. I'm all in favour of intensification, especially for rental, but I'd like to see more care taken to create good urbanism.

Retail should be encouraged on Vaughan (as far as I know, new retail is not allowed?). It has a very active pedestrian presence especially between maplewood and St Clair.
I think Vaughan road, and the area around it, would be a perfect testing ground to for a pilot program that eliminates parking minimums and limits the number of lots that can be assembled. It could have a very interesting Tokyo style urbanism if the right decisions were made.

This is not a good replacement for these walk ups. Yes, rentals are good to build and are needed, but I'm not so sure if this is a great site for redevelooment if there are currently dense walk ups here which are reasonably affordable. We're losing a lot of these kinds of building typologies, which are pretty much our 'missing middle'...I don't see this new building being a good replacement for affordable units.

FWIW I toured the old building last year while I was looking for a place and it is disgusting inside. The units needed mega work and the place felt like a fire trap.

If there are six rental apartments or more on a redevelopment site, (there are in this case), the City requires that those units be replaced in the new building at a similar size, same number of bedrooms, and be made available first to original residents at an inflation-adjusted rate for 20 years… so anyone there when the buildings are closed for redevelopment will be offered more modern apartments at affordable prices once it's done.

Retail should be encouraged on Vaughan (as far as I know, new retail is not allowed?). It has a very active pedestrian presence especially between maplewood and St Clair.
I think Vaughan road, and the area around it, would be a perfect testing ground to for a pilot program that eliminates parking minimums and limits the number of lots that can be assembled. It could have a very interesting Tokyo style urbanism if the right decisions were made.

Agree with this.

No new rendering is updated in the database. There are some information changes to the database. The total unit count was reduced from 83 units to 80 units. Total parking space changed from 18 to 16 parking. The overall building changed from 11 storeys to 12-storey. finally, the total building height changed from 38.10m to 40.60m.

Back