Toronto 1439 Bloor West | 47.75m | 14s | Neudorfer | Barrett

Now a 14-storey proposed rental. Architect is Barrett Architect:
upload_2018-2-26_18-25-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-26_18-25-21.png
    upload_2018-2-26_18-25-21.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,369
A quick Google search tells me that building did not age well.

BeBloor looked like junk from day 1 and was widely derided.

It's frustrating to see a great location like this one next to superb transit amenities wasted on such dreck. Besides the comatose architecture, the relationship with the street and Railpath is also sorely lacking.

Everything about this one is horrific: the podium, street level, the tower itself, and the proposed materials.

From documents uploaded September 20 in support of a Site Plan resubmission:

efwe2fqww.jpg

14 storeys, 169 rental units, over ten percent of which now contain three bedrooms. The precast treatment that was proposed earlier has been removed in favour of brick veneer and spandrel glass. The rooftop mechanical element has also been reduced in size, and residential units fronting Bloor have been taken out.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=2534715

Attachments

• efwe2fqww.jpg
    efwe2fqww.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,212
Looks like they are going for an entirely new aesthetic. It's out of place but it's a step up from the garbage they proposed before. If they made more use of the limestone accent, I think this could look pretty nice.
Perth-Patio-copy.jpg
Perth2.jpg
Perth-top-nov-14.png

Last edited:
Neudorfer is such a polarizing developer. Their Heritage Towns developments just north of here along the railpath, and the earlier ones along Landsdowne in Davenport Village are great. I'd even say they're among the Top 5 in the city of best executed rowhouses. But their tower developments all look horrendous.

This is a step up in the right direction, but it's still trash.

The only good thing going for it is that there's no visible spandrel lacing going on

Looks like they are going for an entirely new aesthetic. It's out of place but it's a step up from the garbage they proposed before. If they made more use of the limestone accent, I think this could look pretty nice.

Mrgeosim --- where did you get these renderings from? It doesn't appear you have the correct building here -- the building at the City of Toronto application appears as per your Oct 4, 2018 post, not as per your Nov 19, 2019 post. Looking closely at the streetlevel on the Nov 19, 2019 post - it doesn't match what's actually there, showing bunch of buildings on both sides of the building where in fact it's right next to railway so no room for other buildings as shown.
Source: City of Toronto application site http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=TijjnSrb9smaWeuBDGLozQ==

So, short of confirmation to the contrary, it seems to me it's still the original piece of trash building they're proposing - not the revised one (which would've indeed been an improvement in comparison).

Reactions: vic

Back