Toronto 1375 Queen West | 28.75m | 7s | Skale | Giannone Petricone

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Chalk up another proposal on the horizon for Parkdale:

Pre-application meeting for 1375 Queen Street West Development

Skale Developments is holding a public consultation meeting where you can learn more about their proposed plans for an 8-storey rental building at 1375 Queen Street West. Currently, the site is a vacant lot located on the south east corner of Queen and Close. Further details will be available at the community meeting. Councillor Perks and City Planning staff will be in attendance.
Details are as follows:

Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Time: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
Place: Parkdale Library Auditorium, 1303 Queen Street West

1581650699686.png

Finally. What's the history of that fenced off green field? It's been that way forever.

I hope this proposal also includes those ugly 1 storey shacks immediately to the east...

Also interested to know if this future proposal will include the buildings to the east. From what I recall, the Silver Dollar Room is opening at one of the spaces there. Perhaps it's for a short-term lease (?).

Finally. What's the history of that fenced off green field? It's been that way forever.

I hope this proposal also includes those ugly 1 storey shacks immediately to the east...
In the good ole' days it was a 7-11 with a gas station. The land is contaminated. The best thing to do would be to do some land assembly.

This does not include the building where Full Worth is, it's only for the empty lot at the corner. Giannone Petricone are working on this.

1375 Queen Street West Presentation

Background
Skale Developments held a pre-application meeting on February 25, 2020. Their proposed plans are for an 8-storey rental building at 1375 Queen Street West. Currently, the site is a vacant lot located on the south east corner of Queen and Close.

Please see below for the developer’s presentation at their pre-application meeting.

To provide any comments on this development or for any questions, contact our office at councillor_perks@toronto.ca .
To contact the developer directly, call them at 416-710-9898.

1582843932857.png

1582843958193.png

Glad it isn't replacing the grocery store next door as well. I know nothing about the store and its quality and the building it is in is completely unremarkable, but closing grocery stores in precarious low-income gentrifying neighbourhoods in transition is generally not great. And eventually when it is redeveloped we will now see finer grain streetscape. Win win.

As for the building I like it in terms of materials and scale + rental is good.

At that meeting, residents learned the family-run developer was interested in having 20 per cent of all units dedicated to affordable housing, which under the current plan will be set at 80 per cent of the city’s average market rent.

Joshua Barndt, of Parkdale Neighbourhood Land Trust, said he was pleased to see the developer meeting the minimum affordability measurement specified in the Parkdale Community Benefits Framework.

“I commend you for coming in with 20 per cent affordable units in this concept proposal, because we haven’t seen any developers come forward with that recently,” he said. “I really advocate that you don’t lose that in your proposal no matter what happens with other commitments.”

The building is proposed to have approximately 45 residential units in total, which are a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom.

Ralph Giannone, of Giannone Petricone Associates (who created the preliminary design), said he intends to keep within the current context and character of the neighbourhood — what he refers to as the “joyous chaos of heritage and habitation.”

Giannone said the building will have as much commercial space as possible, a modest entrance, a communal amenity space, bike storage, a single elevator and one car-share space. The existing bike-share area will be incorporated into the new design.

“This project is a small but mighty important project,” he added.

While some residents in attendance expressed environmental concerns as well as concerns with parking and having a single elevator, the majority appeared pleased with the preliminary proposal, for now, including Amis who was in attendance again.

“They made it clear that this is a family firm that wants to build something long term,” he said. “I hope it’s not a smoke and mirrors kind of thing.”

1582861810658.png

Last edited:
1375 QUEEN ST W
Ward 04 - Tor & E.York District
▼View All Properties

1375 QUEEN ST W​

Zoning By-law amendment application for a proposed 8-storey mixed-use building comprised of 448.0 m² of non-residential gross floor area and 46 rental dwelling units.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
20 124823 STE 04 OZ​
Mar 11, 2020​
Application Received​

Dumb, dumb, dumb:

The height, massing and design of the proposal in its current form is not appropriate for the site. Staff will continue to evaluate the application to move towards a more appropriate height and massing including the following:
 Conformity with the criteria found within the Mid-Rise Building Performance Standards.
 The proposal's relationship with the surrounding low-scaled mixed use buildings to ensure an appropriate scale of development that fits within the context of the area.
 The relationship of the proposed height of the building with the right-of-way width of Queen Street West.

Of all the stupid guidelines by which the Planning Department abides, the ROW width one is perhaps the most frustrating.

Sounds to me like bureaucrats trying to justify their continuing employment.

Make no mistake: The Planning Department plays an integral role in the development process; it's just that it adheres to what is now an essentially outdated brand of urbanist principle that has detrimental consequences, and is extremely resistant to change.

Last edited:

Back