Toronto 1366 Yonge | 135m | 41s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

I much prefer what’s there now. It’s nice to have some texture and playfulness, unlike the monolithic proposal.
Fully agreed. This is one of the nicest buildings to walk along this stretch of Yonge Street. The mid-rise built-form, ornamental buildings, and restaurant patios provide one of the most "European" street aesthetics in the city. I don't care if it is inauthentic PoMo or not, it achieves the desired effect of making me feel proud of walking through this city.

To replace that with this architectural dreck is unfortunate.

That said, the industry is extremely taxed for labour supply and I'm not convinced that if you abolished zoning entirely tomorrow we would see a material increase in unit construction.
Maybe true. Let's find out by opening the regulatory taps. I think we will see the market respond. The idea that we shouldn't try to fix one part of the problem, because another part of the problem might still remain, doesn't make sense to me. You have to attack the problem from all angles until it is under control. That includes making it legal to build apartments in more places again.

This is a red herring. 469 new homes with no new car parking steps from the subway is a huge win for the climate in the long run. This is exactly the kind of infill urban development that is critical to reducing transportation emissions (the number one contributor to climate change) and also reducing operating emissions per home (apartment emissions are well lower per home on average than single family homes, towns, etc.).

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Climate? Steps to an overcrowded subway, with minimal services. Y&SC is bereft of the fun and attraction it once had long ago. If you want subway line, how about the unused Line 4? Also, Canada is completely culprit in Climate change. You've not addressed any potential solutions other than 'screw the people'. So that Climate Change argument is laughable.

6 million people and everybody wants to live downtown.

Don't see it that often, but this one managed to get an outright Refusal Report from planning; coming to the next meeting of TEYCC:

From the above:

1680272757869.png

1680272809064.png

1680272845181.png

1680272867884.png

Back