Toronto 1305 Dundas Street West | 11.58m | 3s | Luloo | Ja Architecture

Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed facelift of the Remix Lounge at Dundas and Dovercourt. Proposed interior alterations to also permit 23 dwelling units:

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 1.23.05 PM.png

dundas.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4418692

Attachments

• dundas.jpg
    dundas.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 1.23.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 1.23.05 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,367
Beautiful!

There's an incredibly progressive architecture scene in Iran right now, with small, urban mid-rise (both office and residential) blocks by young studios really taking hold. I'd love to experience it one day.

Beautiful!

There's an incredibly progressive architecture scene in Iran right now, with small, urban mid-rise (both office and residential) blocks by young studios really taking hold. I'd love to experience it one day.

These guys have set up their office in a former corner store just down the block from my place, near this project.

Decent upgrade. But I'd like it more if they went without the layer of screens for the juliette balconies over the windows.

Last edited:
So digging in a bit more, this one is confusing.

Nearly all of the dwelling units don't have windows, and there don't seem to be plans to install them. They do have very small skylights but no fenestration on vertical faces. Further to that, most of the units are 13-14sm (140-150sf) micro 'dwelling units'. It all makes the 300-330sf 'bachelors' look positively palatial.

This is technically 'legal' under code but it would certainly be tough to live in something more akin to the interior berth in a cruise ship.

Okay, so, no-one's ever gone to Panic at the Remix Lounge? Hmm.

Anyway, it looks like this building already has
  • 15 of these "Bachelor" units which have a living area, a bedroom and bathroom, and
  • 9 "Dwelling" units that are just a bed, a kitchen counter, and a bathroom, and
  • 4 "Photography studio" units that are like the dwelling units, but have no skylight.
Is this an attempt to bring this building up to code wth minor interior alterations? The City seems to be telling them that they are nowhere close to achieving code though this CoA application and that they'll either need to make several changes of get a zoning amendment (which does not look easy).

Approved at the Committee of Adjustment subject to:

Prior to the issuance of the building permit, the owner shall make a financial contribution of $1,301.76 to the satisfaction of the City Solicitor and Transportation Services, Public Realm Street Furniture Management, towards three new City of Toronto Standard bicycle locking rings within the public right-of-way. The contribution will be indexed upwardly from the date of the Committee of Adjustment decision.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=4418692

It's got that Oscar Niemeyer vibe going for it somehow...

Back