Welland 130 Niagara Street | ?m | 10s | Trulife

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
130 Niagara (Welland): a 10-storey condo building developed by Trulife on the east side of Niagara Street and on the north side of the Welland River, west of the Welland Canal in Downtown Welland.

Render from Trulife:
welland.jpg

The site is already zoned for a 10-storey and 105-unit building from a 2011 LPAT/OLT decision.

Great to see something finally come to this site. Hopefully this kicks off more development/redevelopment to the properties south to Main Street.

Downtown Welland is going to need a lot more of these to have any chance at revitalization - what a hole!

Downtown Welland is going to need a lot more of these to have any chance at revitalization - what a hole!
This is the site of many failed proposals over the years going back to the 1990s if not earlier. I'll be shocked if it gets built.

My Uncle lived through the heyday of downtown Welland when it had movie theatres, lots of shopping and restaurants with little to no vacancies. Hard to believe given its current state, but it was at one time like something you'd see in the movies. Every factory was humming and Welland basically functioned like a bustling mini Hamilton with good paying blue collar jobs for anyone that wanted one.

The Seaway Mall in the late 1970s basically killed downtown Welland in less than a decade.
Now the Seaway mall is getting crushed by the Walmart/Canadian Tire/Rona/Mark's/LCBO "SmartCentre" big box area. The evolution of retail I suppose.
Downtown -> indoor shopping mall -> Big box retail where everyone drives from store to store in a sea of parking lots. What a depressing sight we've created in Canada.

Back