Brampton 123 Railroad Street | 130.15m | 39s | Syra Group | ZO1

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Culmination of several years of planning now calls for a new 39 storey building to be constructed south of two existing 6-storey rental apartment buildings constructed in the 1960s, west of Downtown Brampton. The area has limited amenities - some retail at Nelson and McMurchy, transit on McMurchy (52) and on Queen West (1/561), and about a 10-15 minute walk to the GO Station. This is an infill development proposal

Surface parking for the existing two rental buildings would be replaced by the new tower, with underground parking replacing the surface lots. The proposal calls for 522 apartment units, a mix of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. No architect yet, just a massing study.

Primary access would be from Haggart Street, across the former Dixie Cup railway spur from the CN mainline.

Fullscreen capture 2022-10-23 112022 PM.jpg

Fullscreen capture 2022-10-23 112143 PM.jpg

Nice to see some density next to the GO station.

I know @ShonTron is one of our UT Brampton experts. Do you anticipate we’ll see organized opposition from neighbourhood/heritage types, similar to the recent proposals in Port Credit and Streetsville?

Nice to see some density next to the GO station.

I know @ShonTron is one of our UT Brampton experts. Do you anticipate we’ll see organized opposition from neighbourhood/heritage types, similar to the recent proposals in Port Credit and Streetsville?
There’s a few Brampton condos going up next to the go station up to 48 floors. I haven’t heard any organized opposition from the heritage types. Maybe opposition just happens when you neighbour very expensive neighbourhoods.

There are a lot of rooming houses and houses converted to apartments in the area. If this was south of Queen Street, there would be plenty of opposition. Those types had enough influence to delay the LRT.

Not north of Queen.
It’s almost as if it isn’t about being organized which makes a difference when opposing something but rather how deep your pockets are.

This is my frustration with port credit.

Then the buildings wouldn't get built, because they would not pencil out. Floor plate rules need to be addressed, in addition to minimum elevator ratios.
You're saying the entire GTA development industry would go under because minimum elevator service is theoretically mandated? I'm not saying we shouldn't get rid of maximum plate sizes, but you're wildly overestimating how much that sort of thing eats into a PF.

You're saying the entire GTA development industry would go under because minimum elevator service is theoretically mandated? I'm not saying we shouldn't get rid of maximum plate sizes, but you're wildly overestimating how much that sort of thing eats into a PF.
…but the municipalities should have some kind of formula that allows for larger floorplates to handle more elevators in taller buildings. If we assume, for example, that a 40-storey/400-unit/750m2 floorplate point tower will have 4 elevators to service it, then a 50-storey one with 5 elevators should be allowed another 6m2 for another shaft, etc. All ballpark numbers, but the point is that if we're going to allow X-high-number of floors producing X-large-number suites, then elevators need to be there.

This building needs at least 2 more elevators, and could do with 3. One of the elevators should be added within the 750m2 tower, (with no added floorplate as that would fit in my 4 elevators for (an essentially) 40-storey building, and then add another 2 elevators just for the podium levels at the other end of the hall. That would be resident-centred thing to do here.

…but the municipalities should have some kind of formula that allows for larger floorplates to handle more elevators in taller buildings. If we assume, for example, that a 40-storey/400-unit/750m2 floorplate point tower will have 4 elevators to service it, then a 50-storey one with 5 elevators should be allowed another 6m2 for another shaft, etc. All ballpark numbers, but the point is that if we're going to allow X-high-number of floors producing X-large-number suites, then elevators need to be there.

This building needs at least 2 more elevators, and could do with 3. One of the elevators should be added within the 750m2 tower, (with no added floorplate as that would fit in my 4 elevators for (an essentially) 40-storey building, and then add another 2 elevators just for the podium levels at the other end of the hall. That would be resident-centred thing to do here.

The TBG does offer a very dumbed down version of this:
1693396785409.png

Back