Toronto 123 Edward | 189.05m | 59s | Crown Realty Partners | Turner Fleischer

Condos as large as these ones with only three elevators is obviously a ridiculous concept for so many reasons (safety first), but I imagine this proposal is just to get an aggressive application in before Inclusionary Zoning kicks in. Once the application is in, it will get thoroughly criticized and I imagine pared down quite a bit. Ultimately, the developer will take their lumps now but will save by avoiding inclusionary zoning.

Last edited:
After being a punter at Frank's Cafe in Peckham (South London) I'm ever more convinced that the top exposed floor of multi-storey parking decks (or ramps as the Brits call them) should be turned into an outdoor patios, at least half the year. That could be done here on Dundas West, plus in Kensington Market, and likely a few other places in the core.

Franks-Cafe-Peckham-1024x536.jpg
I saw this concept done a few times really well in Europe. I'm 100% with you on this, seems like something that the TPA should investigate at some of their sites.

While we await the disposition of this utterly preposterous proposal.................

A one pic update from July 8th, 2022, on what @Towered first reported on in post #1, namely the appearance change of the existing office tower fronting Dundas:

View attachment 412825
Is there some sort of gradient / ombré effect going on here or is it just the play of the light?

Is there some sort of gradient / ombré effect going on here or is it just the play of the light?

Good question, and honestly, not sure. Some of the effect on the lower 1/3 or so of the building is clearly shadowing/reflection; but I'm a bit more puzzled by some of the variation higher up.

No news on this proposal just atm..............

But..........I was applying some google-fu and noted with interest that Crown previously engaged Smart Density on this site........

* @3Dementia pointed out to me that I overlooked @AlbertC 's earlier post of this link and a couple of the images therefrom.
But as I posted additional images, perhaps this is worth keeping up.

I think the latter's proposal had a lot more to offer than the current one:

1660764983157.png

1660765027712.png

1660765077181.png

Last edited:
@AlbertC posted that on page 1... clearly ur sleep-deprived... should we worry? 🥱

LOL, I'm usually sleep deprived!

My bad; I probably missed it cause I mostly looked at/chose different slides.

Ah well, for the reason noted above, I think I'll leave it up.

^ Interesting that the redevelopment in your link proposed hybrid mass timber construction for this site.

Given the proximity to City Hall views, how about a mass timber complex of 2 towers + terraced levels … sending a low-environmental impact postcard from Toronto (see example below).

THE PLAN (donations accepted in support of city lobbying efforts):

1. Two taller point towers (with smaller floor plates), each terracing down to suit the footprints seen on the site plan. Note: tower separation issues fixed.

2. Retain the 123 Edward Street glass facade and rebuild behind with mass timber construction stepping down from the facade (includes a much larger office replacement element than proposed + other mixed-uses).

As for City Hall view corridors, the existing proposal is "on the edge" of being problematic. The new plan will of course be celebrated by City Hall and around the world.

Apologies for the thread bump, but I thought mass timber aficionados would find this DIALOG presentation at the CTBUH Conference of interest.

You can see in my original post I was proposing a landmark(s) mass timber solution for this site near the NPS view corridor.

So how about a green solution via a 105 storey postcard to the world from Toronto?

CTBUH 2022 - Steel-Timber Conference - Craig Applegath, Founding Partner, DIALOG
Couple of Screenshots from: https://ctbuhsteeltimber.com/program/
Timber-Steel-skyscraper-1.jpg

Timber-Steel-skyscraper-2.jpg

Full PDF Presentation:
https://ctbuh-conferences.s3.us-eas...oads/2022/2022_SteelTimber/05.2_Applegath.pdf

DIALOG-Supertall-Prototype-Exterior-Tower-_-Landscape-Looking-West.jpg
canadianarchitect.cahttps://cdnarchitect.s3.ca-central-...e-Exterior-Tower-_-Landscape-Looking-West.jpg

I'm on hold with Crown Realty so I have to go.

You know if they redefined as a hybrid tree they build it right next to Jesse Ketchum Park... 😼

Back