Toronto 12° / 12 Degrees Condos | 35.66m | 11s | BSäR Group | Core Architects

Wow, fantasic looking building. The reduced height (10 storeys) is much more in line with other benchmarks (eg Phoebe) but still seems to be pushing the limit for what has been acceptable in this little pocket. However, I would be all for showing flexiblity re demo of marginal heritage properties and density if this is what we get as a result.

thanks for the link condovo ~

I too like the design of this proposal ... let's hope things works out for this project

pardon the weird colours and poor resolution (as a result of the PDF -> JPG conversion)

From Adam Vaughan's newsletter:

15-27 Beverley St.

15-27Beverley_1.jpg
15-27Beverley_2.jpg
15-27Beverley_3.jpg

Architect Charles Gane of Core Architects, Michael McClelland of ERA Architects, and lawyer Adam Brown presented a revised proposal for a mid-rise at 15-27 Beverley St. at a meeting with local residents held in the neighbourhood last week.

Changes have been made to the original proposal that include height reduction from 41m to 35.8m. Instead of having 12 storeys, the current plan has 10. The proposal is still taller than the Phoebe condominium across the street, which is 31.2m to the top of the mechanical penthouse.

Changes have also been made to the design of the podium to better relate to the low-rise Victorian homes on Beverley Street. The height of the podium of the building will now be aligned to the height of the eaves of the older homes next door, and the podium design reflects the repeating pattern of the houses on Beverley.

The proposed building would be constructed with transparent glass, concrete and Owen Sound rocks with a roof patio. The mid-rise will have heat pump that will regulate temperature throughout the units at the top of the building and will include a green roof.

Participants at the meeting were concerned that the sidewalk fronting the building on Beverley Street may not be wide enough, particularly for residents using wheelchairs. A proposal from residents to shift the building back from the lot line to widen the Beverley St. sidewalks was received positively by the development team. A north-south lane at the rear of the lot may be available in consideration for the agreement to set the building back from the street to allow more pedestrian space in the front.

A site evaluation, including an examination of whether this rear laneway is used by any adjacent property owners or residents, will be conducted to
determine if this is a feasible option.

Neighbours continue to raise concerns about the height of the proposed building.

The development team will be working on another revised proposal
that will take in account feedback from this meeting. A new version of
the proposal will be presented to the wider community in the near future.

http://www.adamvaughan.ca/AV-newsletter/newsletters/2009-07-29.pdf

Last edited:
That's an attractive building and I must admit the renderings look good, though they certainly change the feel of the street entirely. I wonder if something more like Jack Diamond's Sherbourne Lanes project could be built here. In fact, I'd love to see developments like Sherbourne Lanes all over the city.

What's wrong with change? Change is good. And Beverly isn't exactly the Champs-Élysées.

Last edited:
In a perfect world, this condo would be replacing that fugly highrise at the corner of Beverley & Stephanie St. That dull monolith is such a visual blight in the neighbourhood.

OPA / Rezoning application submitted ~

15 BEVERLEY ST
OPA / Rezoning

Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new 14 storey residential building containing 8273.3m2 of floor area and 113 residential dwelling units -29 bach, 53 one-bed, 31 two bed, complete with 70 vehicular parking spaces below grade.

Application Number 09 133546 STE 20 OZ

Date Received May 4, 2009

Planner Name Phipps, Sarah
Phone# (416) 392-7622

Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 0
Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 8273
Lot Size (sq m) 1173
Proposed Residential Units 113
Proposed Storeys 12

Prince Bay doing condos? that can't possibly be a good thing, given the crap work they do even in low density products ... that's too bad because Core Architects has put together an amazing design here IMO

Image from the above noted website:

condo.jpg

Prince Bay doing condos? that can't possibly be a good thing, given the crap work they do even in low density products ... that's too bad because Core Architects has put together an amazing design here IMO

Image from the above noted website:

condo.jpg

I like a couple of their custom home projects. They are doing a nice low density project at Bayview and Steeles in a year. Condos...I don't know how that started.

For people who don't know, Prince Bay are two partners: A former rocker from the Canadian Band "Platinum Blonde" (the architect) and a businessman from Dubai who takes care of the construction and financing.

For people who don't know, Prince Bay are two partners: A former rocker from the Canadian Band "Platinum Blonde" (the architect) and a businessman from Dubai who takes care of the construction and financing.

I dunno how many people say "ick" upon reading that...

Back