Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Rezoning​
19 254744 NNY 06 OZ​
Nov 27, 2019​
Under Review​

1574994274892.png

This is right across the street from the Humber River Hospital, current site is a single detached house on over 1 acre, looks like the lot is pretty much all tree covered, hopefully they will work around and save any good trees, but I doubt it based on the rendering.

1184 wilson.JPG

Councillor Pasternak’s solution to the affordability crisis: the Status Quo!!

His quote from the Star article above:

““Obviously the city is one of the fastest growing cities in North America. It’s facing enormous pressures on the affordability side and on the housing side, so it is disruptive to stable communities and I think we have to defend those stable communities.”

Spineless political doublespeak.

Councillor Pasternak’s solution to the affordability crisis: the Status Quo!!

His quote from the Star article above:

““Obviously the city is one of the fastest growing cities in North America. It’s facing enormous pressures on the affordability side and on the housing side, so it is disruptive to stable communities and I think we have to defend those stable communities.”

Spineless political doublespeak.

It's worse than double speak - it's basically twisting NIMBYism as the solution, not the cause. Politicians like him are precisely the reason why there is an affordability crisis. "Stable community" is quite plausibly one of the most harmful notions out there.

AoD

It's worse than double speak - it's basically twisting NIMBYism as the solution, not the cause. Politicians like him are precisely the reason why there is an affordability crisis. "Stable community" is quite plausibly one of the most harmful notions out there.

AoD

It can be; though it doesn't have to be.

It depends on whether one defends a community interior, or the portion that faces a main street.

Certainly if you want to preserve bungalows on Bathurst......you're promoting terrible policy and doing a disservice to the City.

OTOH, if the rhetoric of defending a cul-de-sac (which wasn't going to be meaningfully intensified anyway), lets you permit intensification on the larger streets; it needn't be so bad.

There are plenty of neighbourhoods where I would love to just start over tabula rasa...........but back in the real world, I know that won't happen.

My concern w/rhetoric like the councillor's is whether its real; or political cover designed to assuage worried people on those cul-de-sacs.

If it's the former.......I strenuously object........if it's the latter, its just retail politics.

This is right across the street from the Humber River Hospital, current site is a single detached house on over 1 acre, looks like the lot is pretty much all tree covered, hopefully they will work around and save any good trees, but I doubt it based on the rendering.

View attachment 217597

I certain support intensification along Wilson. Period. Full-stop.

I do have some sympathy for the residents behind when you look at wonderfully lush and green this parcel is now.

Tearing down all those trees is not consistent with the City's tree canopy goals or fighting climate change.

But I'm disinclined to support the City buying this for a park as a suggested by some.

If you leave the trees you're not getting any new park facilities to speak of for area youth.

It's a very small parcel.

Roding Park is nearby to the north-west, albeit it not that accessible from this location.

But I do wonder if the developer couldn't be persuaded to buy the adjacent 1-storey childcare ctr.

This would allow the development to be larger in total, but perhaps pull in a bit from the north and east limits allow some of the existing established trees to remain.

I'm not sure the economics support that; but it would be nice to have one's cake and eat it too!

I do note the area further east does have some distance to travel to park space and the catholic school to the north has a 100% paved school yard.

There does need to be some work to address that in the area.

I wonder about the City acquiring land behind the adjacent apartment tower as park space for the area. Its likely sitting over underground parking which would make it less than ideal.

Still.

1600266270515.png

Back