Toronto 1181 Queen Street West | 54.45m | 15s | Skale | BDP Quadrangle

It seems to be the most interesting proposal in the area haha. If this isn't approved, then it will be more of the same like the Streetcar and Plaza condos. I like it as-is. This place was a dump 10 years ago.

It seems to be the most interesting proposal in the area haha. If this isn't approved, then it will be more of the same like the Streetcar and Plaza condos. I like it as-is. This place was a dump 10 years ago.

The Streetcar buildings along Gladstone aren't flashy, but they're solid urbanism. This thing is a giant extended middle finger, and grossly inappropriate for the local context.

I don't agree at all. I see those other buildings as many smaller extended middle fingers which to me is far worse and passive. How can you say that any of them are quality?

Setbacks and FAR ratios to put it simply.

This is quite literally the entire site extruded 26 floors, the streetcar developments have midrises lining Gladstone with the highrise (shorter than this) set behind them meaning it's shadows go on the midrises roofs instead of the street. It has an urban lane way, park space along dufferin, etc. The streetcar block is exceptional urbanism, this is a middle finger to the very concept.

The historical Gladstone Hotel deserves to be complemented here, after all there the ones that started the trend in this part of the city

agree. This corner should be the entertaining hart of this area. Restaurants, LCBO, bowling maybe, galleries. It should be some public place at this space.

agree. This corner should be the entertaining hart of this area.

tve14031-19790825-148.gif

So, there was a whole new project revealed for this site at a public consultation last night, including news of new owners. The story is here, while you'll find a new dataBase file linked at the top of the page!

16 storeys across from the Gladstone (with only 3 storeys directly on Queen—the height tied into the 3rd storey cornice datum of the hotel) makes so much more sense than the previous proposal.

Back