Toronto 1117 Queen West | 102.4m | 29s | Queen Street Post Inc | Giannone Petricone

Quick pic of the first level interior. The armchair design critic in me thinks that an oculus between the two floors and a swoops stairway in a bold colour or material would make for an interesting space. All those windows! Lol

IMG_5133.png

This is why we have a boring cityscape. Developers are consistently scared off from doing anything creative or new because it will lose them money. All for some managers at city planning to posture that they actually do anything useful in this city. "What do you mean we're a bloated bureaucracy?!? Look how many refusal reports we produced last year!!"

Can't wait to see this one revised into a rectilinear floorplate with spandrel glass.

This is why we have a boring cityscape. Developers are consistently scared off from doing anything creative or new because it will lose them money. All for some managers at city planning to posture that they actually do anything useful in this city. "What do you mean we're a bloated bureaucracy?!? Look how many refusal reports we produced last year!!"

Can't wait to see this one revised into a rectilinear floorplate with spandrel glass.

This is a silly post.

Read up thread.....or let me bring that to you:

Rezoning play, nothing more. Don't get too attached and don't despair if you don't like it. It was bought for cheap ($15.4M or $82.2/sf buildable with this design) from an indifferent (at best) or corrupt (at worst) government, so that's about the attention I'm giving this application.

This design was never likely to get built, even if approved.

Your disparaging of staff is misplaced; their comments are fair.

Why reward a zone and flip play with an unreal proposal that is problematic, at best, anyway?

This is a silly post.

Read up thread.....or let me bring that to you:

This design was never likely to get built, even if approved.

Your disparaging of staff is misplaced; their comments are fair.

Why reward a zone and flip play with an unreal proposal that is problematic, at best, anyway?
The Feds, who sold Postal Station C to Queen Street Post Inc. for an impossibly deflated price, are who I was referring to with the word 'government'.

Now, with an application for a zoning bylaw amendment from developer Queen Street Post, plans are underway to potentially transform the site into a mixed-use development, featuring a blend of community facilities and a residential tower.

The proposed tower, which reaches a height of 102.4 metres and includes 272 residential units, is complemented by 919 square metres of community space within the preserved Postal Station C building.

“On Feb. 8, 2024, [Toronto City] Council adopted the staff recommendation to refuse the owner’s application filed under the [Ontario] Planning Act for a 29-storey tower,” said city spokesperson Deborah Blackstone.

Provincial MPP Marit Stiles, NDP leader, has spoken out against the development.

“The potential loss of 1117 Queen St. W. Postal Station “C” has galvanized the community here in Davenport,” she said, in a statement. “I hear about it not only from residents near that area, in the extreme south end of my riding, but all across the riding.”

A petition was also initiated to protect the historic site from development.

According to Blackstone, there are many examples in Toronto of designated heritage properties that have been conserved and integrated into development schemes, thereby allowing for growth and change while also conserving important heritage buildings.

Back