Toronto 1117 Gerrard East | ?m | 5s | Woodgreen | LGA Architectural

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3864752&isCofASearch=false

The Applicant, McCarthy Tetrault LLP, on behalf of the land owner, WoodGreen Community Housing Inc., has submited OPA/Rezoning Application # 15 256717 STE 30 OZ and Site Plan Application # 15 256718 STE 30 SA for the lands at 1117 and 1119 Gerrard Street East. The site is currently developed with a Place of Worship (the former Riverdale United Church) at 1117 Gerrard Street East and an existing five-storey apartment building containing 29 alternative housing rental units operated by WoodGreen. The development applications submitted to the City contemplate the demolition of the existing Place of Worship, and to redevelop the lands for a five-storey building, containing 35 new alternative housing units, generally intended for low-income seniors, and approximately 235 square metres of community centre space at-grade. The owner is also intending to add a new rental unit to the existing five-storey building at 1119 Gerrard Street East, thus bringing the total new rental units through this development appplication to 36. The 36 new rental units will replace 36 rent-geared-to-income units at 835-841 Queen Street East, which is currently subject to a rental housing demolition application (File # 14 153558 STE 30 RH) through Section 111 of the City of Toronto Act, 2006.

KCRgChk.jpg

They'll be moving out of their location at 835 Queen East location - there's already some work happening there with regards to demolishing it which would make it perfect for a new 6/7 storey midrise.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-72282.pdf

Jeeeez. I would be okay with a facadomy at this point. The building at the current site is very beautiful, with its dark toned brick and elegant design. Now that I put further thought into it, a facadomy would be a bit difficult, although they could try filling in the front lawn with concrete to expand the sidewalk and maybe create more landscaping instead.

This looks fine to me. It's brick, nice window to wall ratio, ground level looks okay. Hopefully there is some soil space available for trees to grow. Nice infill.

I agree. First of all most people will hardly even notice the building since it fits in quite well with the physical character of the neighbourhood. As long the brick facade has some texture to it that's not conveyed in the rendering, then I think it will look fine. It's interesting that people are so outraged, meanwhile this glass box facadomy was proposed on Roncesvalles and everyone loved it:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...ark-propeller-developments-7s-superkül.21090/
yB0Vwh3.jpg

It's just a glass box! And one that probably has a blank wall on the other side, and that's totally out of scale with the build form of the street.

Attachments

• yB0Vwh3.jpg
    yB0Vwh3.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,523
It wasn't just a glass box: the diagonal cross-bracing was exposed behind curtain wall, and that's rather sexy. That said, it was too expensive, and is not to be.

Here at 1117 Gerrard East, meanwhile, these images are more recent, while admittedly somewhat indistinct. They show that texture is coming to the bricks, with "basket weave" pattern between the windows, with soldier courses planned atop them. Brick screens are planned for the lower level.

1117GerrardHero836.jpg

1117GerrardBrick836.jpg

Attachments

• 1117GerrardBrick836.jpg
    1117GerrardBrick836.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 1117GerrardHero836.jpg
    1117GerrardHero836.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 1,420
It's fine for what it is - practical, taking cues from the next door neighbour. I wish it was a slightly less burgundy brick (but brick colours tend not show up well in renders).

AoD

Simple and functional building that serves its purpose. I'm not too fussy about the details here. Although, I do find it a bit of a shame that there couldn't have been a suitable adaptive reuse for the existing building on site.

I like it. The brick basket weave references Toronto's Victorian vernacular. It meets the street well, an improvement on what's currently there. It's an appropriate height. Thumbs up.

Back