Vaughan 11 Interchange Way | 175.4m | 55s | Graywood | IBI Group

They haven't completely eliminated surface parking. They do require a good amount of vehicular circulation given the context of this development though, I think it handles it now about as well as you reasonably could.

They haven't completely eliminated surface parking. They do require a good amount of vehicular circulation given the context of this development though, I think it handles it now about as well as you reasonably could.

This is the weird paradox about building city centres in the middle of a suburban landscape- they require extensive parking in order for their residents to get around, and yet this creates a continued dependency on the car that intrinsically goes against the concept of a thriving downtown core that's less car dependent.

Latest SPA submission on PlanIt dated Jan 12, 2018. Includes lots of info including excavation details. 6 floors of underground parking

Latest SPA submission on PlanIt dated Jan 12, 2018. Includes lots of info including excavation details. 6 floors of underground parking

Attachments

• SUB_3_JAN-11-2018_Excavation and Shoring.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,155
Interesting that they will have the parking underground, meanwhile the Transit City development is claiming site conditions as an excuse to build it above.

This is half a kilometre from the Transit City site, ground conditions can change in that distance.

Also, you can always put parking underground, It just depends on how much you want to pay for it. if there are high water levels, you need pumps running 24/7 to keep the water out.

This is half a kilometre from the Transit City site, ground conditions can change in that distance.

Also, you can always put parking underground, It just depends on how much you want to pay for it. if there are high water levels, you need pumps running 24/7 to keep the water out.

I'm still skeptical.

For the premium they are charging for that condo they should have done better.

New documents uploaded to Planit. Most of them are not viewable yet, but in one of them, I found the following paragraph very interesting:

This mixed-use development is composed of an existing 6-storey Hotel which will be renovated and extended up 12 storeys for Hotel rooms. Forty storeys will be added on top of the existing Hotel structure for condominiums and two new additional towers for condominiums will be built as well. The new condominiums will be built as 55- storey residential towers with up to 1,649 units in total for the redevelopment and will feature ground floor retail units at the north end of the buildings. There are sixteen townhouse units associated with the development. The existing 6-storey Hotel building will be expanded from 155 rooms to 260 rooms with a restaurant and other amenities associated with a hotel environment. A Convention Centre with meeting rooms and a ballroom will become part of the Hotel amenities.

I wonder if it means the existing Hilton Garden Inn will be operational while construction proceeds above?

Pretty sure the previous plans had complete demolition of the hotel - I wonder why they are retaining it. It most likely screws royally with their underground parking layouts.

Edit: yea - there is no way the existing hotel structure is actually remaining. It sits right in the middle of the site plan and is located nowhere near the planned new hotel on the south half of the site.

The Hilton Garden Inn is going to be moving up to Applewood Crescent - I suspect they will close for a year or so while this development gets going, then reopen once their new building is constructed.

Comparing the amount of parking spaces between the previous and the current plan, the amount remains unchanged at 1,788.
There are still 1,649 residential units and 260 hotel rooms.

New documents uploaded to Planit. Most of them are not viewable yet, but in one of them, I found the following paragraph very interesting:

This mixed-use development is composed of an existing 6-storey Hotel which will be renovated and extended up 12 storeys for Hotel rooms. Forty storeys will be added on top of the existing Hotel structure for condominiums and two new additional towers for condominiums will be built as well. The new condominiums will be built as 55- storey residential towers with up to 1,649 units in total for the redevelopment and will feature ground floor retail units at the north end of the buildings. There are sixteen townhouse units associated with the development. The existing 6-storey Hotel building will be expanded from 155 rooms to 260 rooms with a restaurant and other amenities associated with a hotel environment. A Convention Centre with meeting rooms and a ballroom will become part of the Hotel amenities.

I wonder if it means the existing Hilton Garden Inn will be operational while construction proceeds above?

Interesting. Do you happen to have a link to where you found the documents?

Anyone concerned about the impact of the tariffs on the ICONA project? What are the chances of the project being cancelled or delayed? If it moves forward, will the surcharge on materials be put back on the buyers in any way?

Anyone concerned about the impact of the tariffs on the ICONA project? What are the chances of the project being cancelled or delayed? If it moves forward, will the surcharge on materials be put back on the buyers in any way?
Canada has added tariffs to things like whiskey and maple syrup, and only from US sources. I don't believe that construction materials were included with the retaliatory measures.

Back