Toronto 11 Bay | 269.45m | 54s | QuadReal | Daoust Lestage

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This in the Surplus Property Report at : http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.GM26.16

I assume this is the Westin Conference Centre?

11bay.JPG

Attachments

• 11bay.JPG
    11bay.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 5,988
That is what the "master planning process" will determine, but Build Toronto is supposed to raise $$$ from the disposal of surplus property so any "park" would only come as part of a development.

Given that at least part of the "Westin Harbour Castle" site has been in the vending process, I'm assuming this must just be for the convention centre building between Queen's Quay and Harbour? Perhaps someone on here who's seen the sales package could clarify.

If so, yeah, I'd love to see a land swap between the eventual proponent who acquires the area south of Queen's Quay and the City so that you can put a tall tower or two on the side north of QQ and public space and/or low-rise retail/office mix on the south side of QQ.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.29.58 PM.png

*Edit*

Oh, yeah, I now see the relevant clarification in that City doc (below). So, yes, land swap, please.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.34.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.29.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.29.58 PM.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 3,674
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.34.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 12.34.52 PM.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 3,666
So, yes, land swap, please.

In complete agreement. Though, can we have some foresight and make sure that if there's a utility in holding the property for work on the streetcar tunnels that we do so until that work is complete and any ROW or strata rights required have been properly secured?

Assuming the above, I think securing a significant widening of the Bay Street opening to Harbour Square Park, and ideally the removal of the garage entrance from that spot, followed by securing a wide opening to the water alongside the west side of the Yonge slip, and then a minimum of 50M of continuous waterfront promenade between the Yonge slip and the existing Ferry Terminal, wider if practical would be a very good deal to make.

Then secure landmark architecture as part of the deal; make sure it brings more daylight to Queen's Quay between Yonge and Bay, better addresses the public realm and provides for a much wider, dedicated Martin Goodman Trail through that area.

Finally, make sure the rear of any new development addresses the new greenspace appropriately, ideally w/at least one top tier restaurant w/patio.

That would totally work for me.

Is it possible there is some kind of 999 year lease with no development restrictions in place ?

It refers to the City but doesn't get into the details

"Proposed development on the Conference Centre site will require further discussion with the City of Toronto. The existing Management Agreement is flexible and has provisions to accommodate unlocking the development potential."

"11 BAY STREET – WESTIN HARBOUR CASTLE CONFERENCE CENTRE According to Bousfields Inc., the Conference Centre site could accommodate a two tower scheme with a 4-storey podium, subject to a successful rezoning. Currently, the existing 2-storey Conference Centre contains ~110,000 gross square feet. Bousfields has made the evaluation that the site can support the development of a 57-storey tower at the northeast corner of the block with a floor plate of ~10,000 square feet and a 52-storey tower at the southwest corner of the site with a floor plate of ~9,400 square feet. A podium that connects the two towers could be constructed to include a grand entrance with street or underground parking, and public space servicing both towers. This would eliminate the existing ~110,000 square foot Conference Centre. The development potential of the two towers at the Conference Centre site have been estimated to be a total of ~1,130,000 square feet. Further negotiation is required with the City of Toronto for development at the Conference Centre site"

I know its been said before, butIt would be nice to build a supertall here and turn the hotel into a park or plaza of some sort.

Everyone has thought of it. Everyone likes supertalls. It's just not economical.

Back