Toronto 11 Bay | 269.45m | 54s | QuadReal | Daoust Lestage

Not sure how I feel about this. It blocks a lot of the green glassed junk behind it, so that in and of itself is a huge win.

I've really lowered my expectations for waterfront architecture. :p

Another office tower added to the mix. Very generic design. Reminds me of Bay Adelaide Centre, only with a better base. Considering this one just popped up out of nowhere, it will be a solid 1.5 years before final approvals I imagine. Lots of time.

I give it a 6/10. Solid, classic, boxy, and bland with a hint of bling. I've seen worse, but I've also seen better. Toronto has enough of these towers though it would have been nice for them to mix it up.

The first 10 floors or so are very nice, but more setbacks are needed further up. The roof definitely needs some softening. From the island this will look like just another Toronto cereal box.

While it won't help the building much, the crown glass could use a rethink from a skyline POV (maybe some inset steps in the glazing, sorta echoing the top floors of Scotia... grasps straw) 🏳

Wow I didn't know that this building was going to be almost the height as the Aura Tower. That pretty tall it need to be a little more classier if it's going to peak the two tower's in front of it !!

Interesting thing about this proposal is that the PATH network would now be extended to the Queens Quay station on the Harbourfront LRT line. This will enable a lot more flexibility in moving around down there on foot.

Interesting thing about this proposal is that the PATH network would now be extended to the Queens Quay station on the Harbourfront LRT line. This will enable a lot more flexibility in moving around down there on foot.
I mean it pretty much is already.

I think the design could have been better.

I really like the terracing on the first 12 floors: to me it echoes one of the older condos along the waterfront (I think opposite the Music Garden?) The street face is unrelenting though. Yes - it's worlds better than what's there now, but...there's a lot of glass, not a lot of variety - I worry that it'll become a dead street face. While I really love the idea of a food hall, I think the large staircase to its second floor needs to be rethought: it could have a bit more presence (right now it reads fairly...meh and concrete-y). Really like the staggered tree line on Harbour.

Beyond the first 12 floors it's just bland. With this height and visibility the city and the tenants should be pushing for a more visually catching design. If they don't - it really is a missed opportunity.

Sidenote on the bridges: Speaking as an intermittent conference attendee, it's pretty convenient to amble from a hotel to a conference venue without going outdoors. It probably (?) also extends the conference season. I'm torn on PATH. I agree it robs the CBD of visible street life, and I've never been happy with that. But, it does provide for a ton of office-hours-only retail.

A flyover and zoom-in:

Toronto Model 09-15-20 11 Bay.png

And the postcard view:
Toronto Model 09-15-20 11 Bay2.png

Back