Toronto 1075 Bay | 210.25m | 59s | Canderel | Hariri Pontarini

Current office foot print is 227,000 sq ft with the Government of Ontario as anchor tenant. Space is 100% leased.

The proposal actually grows the office foot print slightly to 263,000sq ft.

1075_Bay_web.jpg

From Canderel's site.

Not a huge building… but sizeable at 13 storeys. I worked on the 4th floor here for a couple of summers at the Ministry of Treasury and Economics back in my student days…

It's a mix of brutalism and international style at its very dullest, and I won't be upset to see it go. The question is though, what do they propose for its replacement?

Canderel Residential office is on the 4th floor

Interesting! We live just to the east of this.

Also, if they were planning this, why did they just complete a rather extensive renovation of the retail spaces ?

It's a mix of brutalism and international style at its very dullest, and I won't be upset to see it go. The question is though, what do they propose for its replacement?

No reason to think whatever Canderel replaces this with will be any better than the hideous tin-can trash they've inflicted on Toronto already. With their track record of erecting some of Toronto's ugliest, cheapest, oversized monstrosities, they should be legally barred from further vandalizing this city.

A generic tower placed on top of the office building, 220 metres, just to show its location downtown. Will be updated once renders come out:

No reason to think whatever Canderel replaces this with will be any better than the hideous tin-can trash they've inflicted on Toronto already. With their track record of erecting some of Toronto's ugliest, cheapest, oversized monstrosities, they should be legally barred from further vandalizing this city.

Lay blame at the feet of the army of investors and their broker sentinels who disregard any form of architectural or design standards. They are the demand drivers for mega projects such as this, not the profit minded developer who answers to his stakeholders.

I can see what you mean about being one of the ugliest, cheapest, oversized, monsterous, towers when it comes to Aura and the YC condos . But most of the Canderel portfolio on commercial and residential looks pretty good. Let's hope they' ll create something good here .

Lay blame at the feet of the army of investors and their broker sentinels who disregard any form of architectural or design standards. They are the demand drivers for mega projects such as this, not the profit minded developer who answers to his stakeholders.

Sounds to me like "don't blame the drug pushers for the blight of addiction - they're just responding to the greed of their kingpin! Blame the end users instead."

There are many developers in Toronto who are meeting the demands of investors who employ better architects and turn out better projects than Canderel does. Canderel clearly has no appreciation for architecture, design or urbanism AT ALL - which is problematic considering the scale and height of the projects they've been responsible for building in the heart of our city.

And as for more density, more people, more retail, & so forth... there is more to good city-building than cramming in as many people as possible into a monoculture of glass and steel tombstones (& offering the people a few more concourses and food-court options as some sort of exciting side benefit). You can visit at any fourth-rate insta-city in China if you want to see what that kind of urbanism looks like. (Spoiler alert: It's oppressively ugly and soul-crushing).

Back