101 Spadina Avenue | ?m | 47s | Devron Developments | Diamond Schmitt

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
What's more interesting is that many Torontonians think that's normal: shouldn't parks just be trees, grass and some random path? I had always thought urban parks mean something like Champs de mars or Luxemburg gardens or Buenos Retiro Park until Toronto tells me something like Trinity Bellwood or High Park also qualify. And we pretend it is "Toronto style" ("we prefer this way") instead of lack of taste.
Yes, Toronto definitely needs to put more money into parks in general, but when you make sweeping generalizations to slam all parks you shoot yourself in the foot. It's easy to point out where you're wrong, and in fact two that you mention specifically—in this post and the previous one—are prime examples of the opposite of what you are claiming. Grange Park is going through a highly designed makeover right now, and High Park has a ton of things to appreciate about it: outdoor theatre, great kids playground, gardens, sports fields, pool, Colborne Lodge, tennis courts, skating on the pond in the winter, fantastic wild areas, a zoo which is getting several-million-dollar makeover, and more. It's not perfect, but with everything it has, if you can't find anything in it that would draw you back, you're wasting your time with a negative outlook on life.

Meanwhile there are a bunch of other parks that have either been made over or opened recently like Underpass Park, Corktown Common, Sugar Beach, Cawthra Park—or are getting made over like Barbara Ann Scott Park, Berczy Park—or are coming up for that, like Harbour Square Park, the park at 11 Wellesley—new POPS spaces popping up at new developments—and finally parks for which we know there will be design competitions for in the future, like where the York Street spiral ramp is coming down.

So, enough of the mass denunciations already. If you could aim more helpful, constructive, directed criticism where it's deserved, instead of just puking up over everything, we could all have better conversations.

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Raw is working on a plan for a redo of St James Park. Check it out.

ST James Park Masterplan meeting
May 26, 6:30-8:30
St Lawrence Hall - 157 King East

stjames2queenwest

Member Bio
Reaction score
A wider variety of parks would be nice, but I think we are getting there slowly. There are cool urban parks like underpass, Allan gardens has it all, play grounds, dog park, green houses, huge old trees. Sure some of the flower gardens outside the greenhouses could be better manicured.

Why the hate for high park? High park is great because it's largely left alone. As someone who grew up in a provincial park I desperately wish toronto had more wild densely grown yet sprawling spaces. High park, the spit and the don valley are among the few places I get that nostalgia. I love manicured parks with grand fountains and all that, but I wouldn't want every park to be like that.

Lenser

Member Bio
Reaction score
We pretend it is "Toronto style" ("we prefer this way") instead of lack of taste.
Just a thought: if you were to have been paid for every instance of Toronto-bashing you've engaged in here, I'd expect you'd be sufficiently well-off by now to be able to relocate from this burg (the very place which makes you so chronically miserable).

Armour

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ksun, what made you decide that Toronto was the best place for you to move to? What do you even like about this city?

deep6ing

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't totally disagree with his point... but there's a lot of things Toronto used to do badly that it does better now. As far as I know, the city has hundred of millions in the Parkland Acquisition Fund that has to be spent on things like this. Could really be a great site for a mini-square like something you would find in New York... a dose of green plus a multi-purpose space for smaller gatherings, farmer's markets, etc... What bums me out about this city is how it seems like developers run the show. I've been spending a lot of time down around Unwin Avenue working on my boat at the Outer Harbour Marina. That's probably 200 acres of land within a 10 minute drive of downtown. Has amazing potential but I feel like if it was ever developed, it would just become another Cityplace. Municipal Government here seems to be well-meaning but in the end the developers pretty much get what they want, which is why we get stuck with things like Cityplace, McCondos in what is some of the most prime land we have.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't totally disagree with his point... but there's a lot of things Toronto used to do badly that it does better now. As far as I know, the city has hundred of millions in the Parkland Acquisition Fund that has to be spent on things like this. Could really be a great site for a mini-square like something you would find in New York... a dose of green plus a multi-purpose space for smaller gatherings, farmer's markets, etc... What bums me out about this city is how it seems like developers run the show. I've been spending a lot of time down around Unwin Avenue working on my boat at the Outer Harbour Marina. That's probably 200 acres of land within a 10 minute drive of downtown. Has amazing potential but I feel like if it was ever developed, it would just become another Cityplace. Municipal Government here seems to be well-meaning but in the end the developers pretty much get what they want, which is why we get stuck with things like Cityplace, McCondos in what is some of the most prime land we have.

Don't be too hard on Cityplace. It didn't turn out too bad all things considered. (all things including the recently proposed sextuplets forming a staggered 200+ metre wall along the east harbour.)

ksun

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ksun, what made you decide that Toronto was the best place for you to move to? What do you even like about this city?

I wanted to move to a smaller and slower paced city. That's what I like about it.
I have no overseas money btw. Brought two suitcases and maybe $8000 when I arrived in Canada.

Forgotten

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pretty typical. Comes here wanting a smaller, slower paced city and yet seems disappointed by that.

Judging from past posts, seems to have departed from one of those very Chinese megacities that are constantly praised within said posts. Poor guy is confused.