Toronto 101 Heath West | 14.1m | 3s | Haven | RAW Design

Generalized statements like á full NIMBY bingo card, are accusations without backup. That statement then becomes a potshot as you do not take the time to actually explain the logic of your accusation and therefore it cannot be refuted.

To be honest, your statement implies that everyone reading this post is clear about the definition of NIMBY. Are you sure?

Ok. I'll bite. I looked it up for anyone who cares to read it. And you can read it here too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY

A NIMBY would involve a claim saying NO to the project and advocating it be built elsewhere. . No one here is saying NO build it elsewhere which would make it a NIMBYist claim. It would be welcomed as a 7-unit condo on the same depth footprint as the condo next door, despite strong your innuendo statement of strong suspicions' of wanting it to stay a single-family. Are you crazy - what planet do live on? One of the houses involved in the project s already a four-plex and has been for 20 years. So 5 families were already renting these two spaces making up this project for the last 20 years. Who objected to that? Nó one here. Large houses are turned into 5 units or more every day of the week around here! There are very few people in this neighbourhood who can afford or even want to live in such large houses anymore. This is NOT Foresthill. Wrong neighbourhood. You all don't seem to be much for facts on this site. And some of your arguments belie a disconnect with even a basic understanding of the housing reality in Toronto let alone Deer Park; there are fewer and fewer single-family dwellings in our neighbourhood and that is an accepted part of our lives here. You do not know us at all.

A NIMBY claim would also involve disliking the project. In fact, most letters objecting that are on public record with the Committee of Adjustment regarding the project actually laud the design so no one finds the project unpleasant another key to making a NIMBYist claim regarding the project. There is not one person I know including me who does not find this project beautiful and thinks from a design point of view it would make a lovely addition to the neighbourhood. Beyond that, many people like me appreciate the esthetic of including a heritage home front in a new design.

A NIMBY claim would also involve advocating STRICT adherence to land use. We are saying double the size of the project, sure; and doubling the size of the project alone would already require a MAJOR 'minor variance' so this is not a NIMBYist claim because we are not advocating STRICT land use. And again, why would we? Projects being built around us routinely get minor variance approvals, it is part of our lives here.

So what ARE the actual tokens on your NIMBY bingo card? You don't say. And I can't see even one myself. So, if you are going to make the accusation, at least have the guts to back it up.

We are asking for changes to the project that is all. And the developer will not make one change. Not one. Not even ones that would be of serious advantage to them like moving the exit to the parking. Do you think people who buy these condos are not going to feel like they have been taken in when they can't even exit their own parking lot at peak travel hours? I actually wondered if The City Planning department could be held liable for this and sued by one of the condo owners on this proposed site at a future date for not objecting to the exit at this location when it came across their desks and the data was clear.

As to more housing needed? MORE AFFORDABLE HOUSING IS NEEDED. At least 1000 more condos, not including these ones, are going at our corner over the next five years. Asking that this project be a 7-unit project instead of a 12-unit project won't even put a dent into the number of condos that are going into this area. So that argument about it being such an important addition to the volume of housing by doing 12 units instead of 7 units, has to rate as the most specious argument of all. Sorry, 5 fewer units to save all kinds of quality of life in our neighbourhood is not going to negatively impact anyone who is looking for housing in this area.

Really take that in. 1000 + new condos will be built at the corner of our street in the next 5 years. They are all going to be luxury condos like this project. And most of these condos will be purchased by investors who will rent them back to people at high rates of rent. This city needs more affordable housing. None of this is going to be affordable. It is going to be bought by people who are either very well off or investors who will rent it back for high rates of rent.

https://studiogang.com/project/one-delisle ( 263 Luxury Condos)

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/04/three-tower-mixed-use-complex-proposed-yonge-and-st-clair (best guess is at least 800 Luxury living spaces because the space is literally 6 times the area of the One Delisle so it may be more there is no word yet)
It’s not my job to educate you. I am just telling you I have seen every tactic laid out that you have said before.

I’ve gone to probably 50-60 community consultations for new builds and other projects in my 15+ years in Toronto, been part of a committee that commented officially on the city’s heritage by-laws, have met with city councilors in groups and 1 on 1 on new builds and project, and currently attend meetings of my neighbourhood residents association. Deer Park is nice and I‘m glad you like it, so don’t you want others to enjoy living there too?

We need to build more housing of every kind in every neighbourhood in the city, including Deer Park.

Residential Demolition Application - 101 Heath Street West

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on February 16, 2022. City Council has delegated final decision-making authority for the subject of this agenda item. The Toronto and East York Community Council will make the final decision on this item unless any amendments it approves exceed its authority.

Looks good. More of this is what we need, not demolish and build monstrosities. Low rise, fits into the neighbourhood, houses several (probably) well-to-do families.

Looks more like a conversion to some medical outfit than a proposed residential...

Alterations to a Heritage Property and Authority to Enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement - 103 Heath Street West

This item will be considered by Toronto Preservation Board on July 11, 2022.

Summary
This report recommends that City Council approve the alterations proposed for the property at 103 Heath Street W (designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act) under Section 33 of the Ontario Act, in connection with the proposed redevelopment of the site. This report also recommends that City Council grant authority to enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement for the property.

Built in c. 1892-1893, the property at 103 Heath Street West features a 2½-storey house-form building. It is notable as a Late Victorian-era dwelling that incorporates both Bay-and-Gable and Queen Anne Style architectural features and stands as a defining property within a group of varied architectural types and styles on Heath Street. The property is significant for being one of the earliest surviving houses representative of an early period in the planned land development of the street and the Deer Park community. The development site also contains an adjacent two-storey house-form building at 101 Heath Street West, which was not identified as a significant heritage resource and is slated to be removed as part of the proposal.

As a part of the redevelopment of the site and a concurrent Site Plan Application (20 152778 STE 12 SA), the proposal includes retention in-situ and rehabilitation of the north elevation of the property, and retention of approximately 10 metre deep portions of both the adjacent east and west side walls. The rear portion of the dwelling will be removed to accommodate a three-storey (12 m) residential building consisting of 10 dwelling units.​

New rendering added to the database and taken from the architectural plan via site plan approval:

PLN - Architectural Plans - DEC 20  2022-1.jpg

Back