Toronto Verge Condominiums | 60.3m | 17s | RioCan Living | Turner Fleischer

Just read parts of the City's report opposing this. They are essentially opposing it because the heights are too high for an Avenue, but do they not realize by doing that they are just giving reason for the developer to set the buildings back and forcing a much more suburban build form than is the case with the current proposal? Phase 2 at IQ are 24 stories just west of this development. I'm worried that we'll essentially get the "towers in a parking lot" with even greater heights set back so as to not be "directly on the Queensway" and avoid those avenue restrictions.

I agree to a degree, but Planning would be concerned that approving this height here would lead other proposals along the Queensway to up their height requests substantially. Most properties are not this deep however, and could not expect quite so many storeys, but Planning has formulas that they apply and they have to make sure that proposals fall within what's prescribed, or lose the ability to apply them.

Opposing 20 storeys right at the corner of a major intersection like Islington and Queensway, a block away from access to a major highway, is a total joke.

https://www.toronto.com/community-s...condo-proposal-due-to-height-and-site-issues/

of particular note:

Joel Farber, a lawyer with Fogler, Rubinoff LLP who represents RioCan, said they submitted a settlement proposal to city lawyers, who are reviewing it, in a July 3 letter to community council.

The settlement proposal includes:

• full, on-site parkland fronting The Queensway;

• an overall unit reduction to accommodate 10 per cent three-bedroom units and more than 30 per cent two-bedroom units;

• heights reduced on the proposed 12-storey towers to make them in line with existing condo heights across the street;

• lowering the height of the landmark, 20-storey tower at The Queensway and Islington Avenue;

• expanding the at-grade commercial area to allow a full 6.5-metre pedestrian environment.

Council adopted the settlement offer. West building is 10 and 9 storeys, east building includes 17-storey tower element and a mid-rise component of 10 storeys. Unit count reduced to 545 from 588, 10 percent three-bedrooms. On-site parkland dedication increased from 1,343 to 1,850 square metres. Tower floor plate now 750 from 815 square metres.

The building fronting Islington Ave sticks out like sore thumb. I realize RioCan is all for profit-maximization, but common now really?

I'd rather they just get rid of the useless parkland that's fronting The Queensway and increase the footprint of the building, rather than playing Lego with Tower A.

I like the design. I'm glad they aren't going with supertalls here. Good way to build The Queensway as a pedestrian friendly avenue.

Back