Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

This building is a dismal attempt at architecture. 1st year students would do a more creative, inspired job than this mediocre, plain, glass clad shoe box. The design principles here were biggest for least cost while not drawing any attention to this monument to liquor and dismal environmental responsiveness. It looks exactly like the towers at Bay-Adelaide Centre, College Park and countless glass boxes around the world.

This building is a dismal attempt at architecture. 1st year students would do a more creative, inspired job than this mediocre, plain, glass clad shoe box. The design principles here were biggest for least cost while not drawing any attention to this monument to liquor and dismal environmental responsiveness. It looks exactly like the towers at Bay-Adelaide Centre, College Park and countless glass boxes around the world.
A 1st year would do better? Do tell...

like I said before you finally start to see the beautiful Mosaic piece of art. Created by the light because of the angled windows as seen in the two or more photos on the previous page . This is a cheap but effective way to show off a a building's facade. I hope they create more of this kind of effect on future building's exterior.

Last edited:
The plume boss, the plume...

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

This construction worker is getting a facial...
IMG_1553.jpg

So if Redpath magically relocates to Hamilton, what happens to the Wyland mural? Will Sugar Beach be shipped off as well and replaced with a plaque? Will the west side condo buffer wall be torn down? Will the new footprint be scooped up by various ill-considered co-generation plant proposals?

Has Redpath ever been cited as an environmental problem?

Sweet discussion. 60 years on site, largely supported by the city in planning.

If the steam is a health threat, missed that... please advise.

They can always build a bigger smokestack so that the steam is released higher above the towers, but I doubt the city would be cool with a new smokestack towering over the waterfront. The funny thing is they realistically could move to Hamilton if they wanted to - they'd have their choice of dozens of sites along the port, all with loads of land ready to build and a city council who would willingly expedite the processes to get it done like was done with the new Parrish & Heimbecker facilities.

Most of the waterfront in Hamilton has horrendous remediation issues. The cost of that alone would be prohibitive, even if the land were offered for free.

Most of the waterfront in Hamilton has horrendous remediation issues. The cost of that alone would be prohibitive, even if the land were offered for free.

Not as much as you would think. There are already a bunch of agri food businesses including a liquid sugar refinery and three grain ports. The city/province/port authority are also taking big steps to increase shipping capacity, and to prep space for more industrial use.

Some sections of the harbour are really contaminated, but that is a blanket statement that doesn't apply to the whole of the industrial port area.

Fair enough. Anything I've ever been asked to review has not been worth it but it seems like there might be hope in some places!

Fair enough. Anything I've ever been asked to review has not been worth it but it seems like there might be hope in some places!

Do you have to fully remediate the soil if you're building new industrial uses as opposed to residential uses on brownfield sites? I know we've seen "capping" of contaminated soil when big box retail was built on brownfields in Toronto.

Back