Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

Imagine If every recessed piece was tinted gold like the RBC building... would have added a bit of pizazz to this largely boring box.
The challenge with the RBC glazing is that looking out of the building from within produces a heavy mossy green tint. No tenant wants to feel like they're permanently living in the Matrix, causing difficulty with leasing.

First glass is going up on the main podium section west-side today. I was unable to get a proper look or photo, but at a glance it looked less green than the north-facing section, but not as dark or reflective as the tower portion. That could just be the lighting, however.

Just now. Hard to judge at this point...

20200312_170106.jpg
20200312_170122.jpg
20200312_170127.jpg

Podium - north glass and mechanical air intakes. Good location.
F0A8030F-3AC0-4D51-9909-43A5C4666981.jpeg

I guess they didn’t want roof top air intakes...

I wonder if Redpath would get air emissions approval if this factory were built today? The reverse seems to be okay. No operable windows on the office buildings.

67CBE498-E363-4035-AA75-97A1790B5C44.jpeg
3316FBA6-D783-4470-9B8C-64C7D1153085.jpeg
0AD8A41F-CD06-4E33-BF12-BC10D2B202BF.jpeg

That podium glass looks beautiful! To be clear, the podium appears to be divided into two - the smaller, northern portion is white (which doesn't look great) while the larger portion is dark. It appears for the dark portion they're going with that silver, mirror-like colour. I think that could look quite sharp when wrapped around the remainder of the podium and when contrasted with the deep blue of the tower.

March 23, 2020:

I couldn't help but notice how Redpath was belchhing out steam (presumably) from its smokestack directly at the LCBO office tower all morning and well into the afternoon. It was a typical overcast day with low a low cloud ceiling and winds from the south. I imagine this will become a regular occurrence on days like today, and one day in the not too distant future, south facing workers in the LCBO tower will feel like they are "working in the clouds" when smokestack does its thing. The Menkes and Pinnacle condo towers to the north and west won't escape the steam plume either. Ahh, life in the big city...

IMG_1535.jpg

Turn Redpath into a new AGO campus or some other cultural institution.
The fate of Redpath has been debated ad nauseam on UT and we really do not need to start again. The arguments for it remaining are to maintain employment downtown, to allow it to be serviced by the lakers and to keep some industry in what was once a 100% industrial area. Is it a beautiful site? Of course not. Should it go? Not in my opinion. I think they made an agreement with the City a few years ago that involved them deciding to make quite substantial investments in the site too.

Back