Toronto 100 Queens Quay at Sugar Wharf | 117.34m | 25s | Menkes | B+H

By me today:

RCUNnTX.png

interesting excavation between the 2 sites. anyone knows what it's for?
My last pic answers that. From yesterday, initially looking northwest:

DSC09575.jpg
DSC09576.jpg

…then east…
DSC09577.jpg

…and then along the north shoring wall, showing where the Harbour Street extension will run (with Monde as the landmark vista on the horizon). The excavation to the left, just starting, is where the LCBO tower will connect underground, both for PATH and for servicing IIRC, to the Sugar Wharf Condo Phase One complex.
DSC09579.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09575.jpg
    DSC09575.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC09576.jpg
    DSC09576.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 642
  • DSC09577.jpg
    DSC09577.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC09579.jpg
    DSC09579.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 577
By 2021 when complete will this building still be home to the LCBO headquarters? or will the LCBO be history
rumours today have this new government selling the LCBO

This is Fords comments back in March 2018
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford says he’s not a fan of monopolies and is considering getting the government out of the business of selling alcohol, and cannabis when it’s legalized later this year
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ford-sugg...ector-will-scrap-people-s-guarantee-1.3841455

By 2021 when complete will this building still be home to the LCBO headquarters? or will the LCBO be history
rumours today have this new government selling the LCBO

This is Fords comments back in March 2018
Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford says he’s not a fan of monopolies and is considering getting the government out of the business of selling alcohol, and cannabis when it’s legalized later this year
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ford-sugg...ector-will-scrap-people-s-guarantee-1.3841455

Here's the thing, if you want to sell the retail asset, you would want to sell it as a monopoly because that maximizes your asset value.

If you de-monopolize, the asset value deteriorates.

While the going-concern retail could be sold off, I expect a lot of the value would be in the owned real estate, and some prized leases.

The value in a liberalized sales world isn't that high, even more so when you consider the name would have to change, as no private retailer could call itself the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO)

Liberalization, plus brand changeover would slash the asset value greatly.

Another curiosity would be the wholesale side.

Even Alberta retained the wholesale booze business, it just privatized the retail side.

I'm generally in favour of liberalizing alcohol sales, particularly beer and wine.

But I don't think selling off the LCBO is a treasure trove for the government based on what I can see.

LCBO is a good brand with value in it - it's a fairly nice liquor store.

Even with liberalization, the LCBO can stay as a liquor store brand.

I expect we will see beer and wine liberalized fully to any private retailer who wishes to sell it, while the LCBO will retain control of liquor sales. I'm hopeful wholesale distribution doesn't remain solely in LCBO hands for beer/wine as you are then essentially just placing a different sticker on top of the same store.

Back