Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

Some architects love doing multi-residential because they take a great interest in housing / designing the fabric of the city. I don't think it's quite fair to say that designing against these restrictions is "compromising" their "art". But I think people have to have an awareness of the fact that there is a line in the sand that it's difficult for an architect to cross with their client. It's not as simple as "why don't they just shift the boxes so everything aligns again?" - the client is demanding that floor area.

And yes, it's a job. People have to eat and pay their mortgage or rent, and many offices are so busy right now that you simply don't have time because you have multiple project on the go simultaneously.

I speak from experience when I say that the planners nickel-and-dime you on inconsequential minutiae in much the same way clients nickel-and-dime small floor areas to ensure they hit outrageously inflated GFA's. It is not conducive to good architecture.

Fair enough; I think the point of departure for me is with the notion that "Architects don't get to exercise creativity or "design" in this city". I think that's certainly very much true in terms of massing, but I'm not willing to let off the hook a lot of the developers and architects in this city who don't pursue more ambitious proposals in other design elements (materiality/expression/etc.).

Fair enough; I think the point of departure for me is with the notion that "Architects don't get to exercise creativity or "design" in this city". I think that's certainly very much true in terms of massing, but I'm not willing to let off the hook a lot of the developers and architects in this city who don't pursue more ambitious proposals in other design elements (materiality/expression/etc.).

No, I entirely agree with you on that point. My comment came from a place of frustration - the idea that all architects are lazy, when in fact, many work really hard to do things that are creative, and are simply limited by planning/clients/etc. But I agree with you entirely - not all condo architects in this city are equal in what they pursue or the ingenuity they bring to very limiting circumstances. Some firms have demonstrated the ability to innovate, or at the very least bring great details to their projects.

20191116_111626.jpg

castlepoint Numa still the developer or was it sold to someone else as they filed for bankruptcy?

oops! my bad.. they cancelled a project and i thought it was cancelled cause they went bankrupt. my apologies.

Anything going on with this project? Nothing seems to have changed since i moved the the area about four years ago with exception of a brief flurry of activity maybe 2 years ago?

Anything going on with this project? Nothing seems to have changed since i moved the the area about four years ago with exception of a brief flurry of activity maybe 2 years ago?
Not anyone is aware of I gather; just you here asking the trees. :)

Back